Archive for January 2010

[ecrea] The Death and Life of American Journalism

Sat Jan 16 16:29:56 GMT 2010

My new book, <http://www.amazon.com/Death-Life-American-Journalism-Revolution/dp/1568586051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247782505&sr=1-1>The Death and Life of American Journalism, which I wrote with my friend John Nichols, has just been published this last week by Nation Books. I think it is the best and most important book we have written, and of the utmost importance. It provides a comprehensive and original explanation of the current crisis in journalism, a critique of the current favored ?solutions? to the crisis, and an argument for strong public subsidies to create a viable, independent news media. It is based on years of research, but has been written to address the deep crisis of the immediate moment and visible future.

I hope this book will interest you and you will consider reading it. For a taste of our argument, see <http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100125/nichols_mcchesney>this week?s cover story in <http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100125/nichols_mcchesney>The Nation. We also discussed the book with David Brancaccio on <http://www.pbs.org/now/>PBS?s NOW on Friday, January 15.

The argument and the proposals we make are controversial and go against the conventional wisdom, so we provide considerable original evidence to make our case. The response from experts who have read the book has been heartening. Lawrence Lessig calls it a ?beautifully crafted and compelling book.? Juan Gonzalez calls it ?the best depiction yet of the rapid disintegration of America?s old system of news.? Mark Crispin Miller calls it a ?landmark history/diagnosis of our current journalistic crisis.? Dan Rather said ?This is an important book. It offers many new sunbursts of thought.? After reading the book, Naomi Klein said of us, ?no two people are more dedicated to the transformative, democratizing power of journalism not as it is, but as it should be.?

If you wish to purchase it online, in addition to <http://www.amazon.com/Death-Life-American-Journalism-Revolution/dp/1568586051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247782505&sr=1-1>Amazon or <http://www.powells.com/biblio/62-9781568586052-0>Powell's<http://www.powells.com/biblio/62-9781568586052-0> or any other vendor, you might consider ordering it through the website of a local independent bookstore. (The website of an independent bookstore we patronize in Madison, <http://www.rainbowbookstore.org/>Rainbow Books, for example, is offering the book at a discount.)

Please consider sending this email on to any friends you think might be interested in the subject. Thanks for your time. I apologize if you get this email more than once, but my address book is impossibly difficult to edit, at least for me.

If you do read the book, I would love to get your feedback.

Happy new year.

Bob McChesney

PS­For my friends outside the United States, John and I think the book may have value for other nations as they address their crises in journalism as well. This is an international crisis.