Archive for September 2009

[ecrea] cfp: Do the Media Matter In Societal Transitions? A Retrospective on 20 Years of Media Transformation in the Post-Communist World.

Sat Sep 19 08:17:16 GMT 2009

Do the Media Matter In Societal Transitions? A Retrospective on 20 Years of Media Transformation in the Post-Communist World.

Much has changed in the twenty years since the fall of communism in Eastern Europe and much has been written about the media?s evolution in the region. It is time to re-asses what has occurred in the last two decades,

Peter Gross (U.S.A.) and Karol Jakubowicz (Poland) are co-editing a collection of in-depth essays that re-evaluate the post-communist media?s transition/transformation since 1989 in all of their aspects, effects and meanings. The working title is as above. A publisher has expressed interest in the book.

The editors hope the collection will reflect the evolution of assessments on the post-communist media, starting from the original dreams of dissidents of what the new media system should be like; the factors which have impacted on the media in post-communist countries, and the results that have been achieved so far. What role the media play in contemporary post-Communist societies is also of interest. Another question is whether we can treat the situation today as the conclusion of the process of transition/transformation, or whether the process is not over yet ? and if that is the case, how will we know that it is over?

Please send us abstracts of your proposed contributions before October 4, 2009. We will respond and notify you whether we can accept your proposal.

Final essays should be between 20-30 double-spaced pages; notes and references should be kept to a minimum.

The deadline for submitting a contribution is 1 December 2009.

Contributions should be sent in digital form to:

Dr. Karol Jakubowicz: (jkarol7 /at/ tlen.pl)

Dr. Peter Gross: (pgross /at/ utk.edu)