[ecrea] CFP: Teaching About and With Alternative Media

Sun Mar 11 21:00:57 GMT 2007

>Call for Papers:
>Teaching About and With Alternative Media
>
>Our media system, like our educational system, is in trouble.  Indeed,
>an inescapable link may exist between the two.  Information abounds
>through television, radio, the internet, magazines, and books, but the
>educational system often does little to help students or teachers
>interpret this media -- to show how it influences our ideas and values,
>informs public opinion and debate, and shapes understanding of our
>political world.
>
>By now many of us are familiar with the alarming list of statistics
>about the control and effects of the media on our students.  The Media
>Education Foundation, for example, informs us that each year, the
>average American youth spends 1,023 hours watching TV and only 900
>hours in school. This average American child sees 200,000 violent acts
>on TV by age 18.
>
>Efforts are afoot, however, to create an alternative media to offset
>the years of corporate media indoctrination to which we have grown
>accustomed.  This new alternative media can be defined in many ways:
>  newspapers and magazines which do not depend on corporate support;
>radio and television broadcasts free of sponsors and mainstream sources
>of information; websites critical of the Iraq War and foreign policy;
>listserves which encourage and inform the public about political
>activism at home and international politics abroad; and new forms of
>sharing information like zines and blogs. But education will be
>essential both to create media reform and then to disseminate it to the
>growing number of students who distrust the mainstream media, yet
>urgently need reliable sources of relevant information in order to make
>sense of the often dangerous and upsetting world in which they live.
>
>  Radical Teacher is planning a cluster on Teaching About and With
>Alternative Media. Topics may include, but need not be limited to, the
>following:
>? Classroom experiences using alternative media to teach current social
>or political events
>? Introducing alternative media into the classroom and the response
>from students
>? Using alternative media in teaching K-12 media literacy classes
>? Strategies for and lessons about teaching students how to critically
>analyze forms of media
>? The role of technology in using alternative media in the classroom
>? The effects of student blogs on understanding and using alternative
>media
>? What political or alternative media websites do your students use
>? Teaching the politics of media ownership, including media merging and
>the concurrent loss of available information
>? Examples of student activism organized and managed through the
>internet
>? Teaching students to produce alternative media
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
NEW BOOK: Researching media, democracy and participation.
The intellectual work of the 2006 European media
and communication doctoral summer school.
Available at: http://young.meso.ee/?q=node/54
ICA 2007 Conference [Theme] website @
http://www.vub.ac.be/icatheme07/
!!!!!!NEW!!!!!!!!
Free ECREA Communication Doctoral Summer School Book
"Researching media, democracy and participation" at:
http://www.comsummerschool.org/
---
ECREA Book Series publication
"Reclaiming the Media"
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/ppbooks.php?isbn=9781841501635
with in the body of the message (NOT in the subject): unsubscribe ecrea
Postal address: ECREA - P.O. Box 106, B-1210 Brussels 21, Belgium
Email: (ecrea /at/ ulb.ac.be)