[ecrea] Call for Papers -Channel 4 Conference

Wed May 17 11:51:51 GMT 2006

>                                                        Call for Papers
>
>                         Channel 4 Conference
>         National Film Theatre
>                         17-18 November 2007
>
>                         As part of a project reviewing 25 years of
> British broadcaster Channel 4, the BFI is organising a major academic
> conference to assess the channel's history. We aim to discuss issues
> surrounding the impact and influence that
>                         Channel 4 has had on television production and
> consumption in the UK, as well as on British life as a whole.
>
>                         We are seeking papers from academics and
> postgraduates on any aspect of Channel 4. Within the project
>                         postgraduates will have the opportunity to
> undertake work on our Channel 4 holdings in the BFI National Film and
> Television Archive and present papers on their findings at the
> conference. All speakers will be able to present clips
>                         from the BFI's Channel 4 collection.
>
>                         Papers might consider
>
>                         Institutional Issues
>
>                                 *       Channel 4's changing remit: from
> 'minorities' to young and affluent viewers.
>
>                                 *       Channel 4's public service role:
> the 'duty to be different' and its challenges to the audience.
>
>                                 *       The inception of Channel 4 in its
> political and historical context.
>
>                                 *       Agents of change: Chief
> Executives, Commissioning Editors and Chairmen.
>
>                                 *       Censorship and Controversy:
> pushing the boundaries at Channel 4.
>
>                                 *       The changing economics of the
> Channel, and its future in the digital age.
>
>                                 *       The digital world: FilmFour, E4,
> More4, 4Docs and 4laughs.
>
>                                 *       The Welsh exception: S4C
>
>                         Channel 4's programming
>
>                                 *               Drama
>                                 *       Comedy
>                                 *       Film on Four
>                                 *       Regions and nations
>                                 *       Minority programming
>                                 *       Experimental and avant-garde work
>                                 *       Investigative documentaries and
> Channel 4 News
>                                 *       Youth programmes
>                                 *       Sports coverage
>                                 *       Reality programming
>

>We invite contributors to submit an abstract of approximately 500 words,
>along with a short biography by 30th January 2007 to
>(C4Conference /at/ bfi.org.uk) <mailto:(C4Conference /at/ bfi.org.uk)>

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
ECREA Communication Doctoral Summer School information at:
http://www.comsummerschool.org/ &
http://www.ecrea.eu/summer.html
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18