[eccr] Signs of the Times Election Special

Sat Apr 23 15:12:47 GMT 2005

>Please circulate as widely as possible
>
>New Discussion Papers on the Signs of the Times web-site
>
>As part of Sign of the Times preparation for the general elections, we
>have several new papers which consider important policy areas in the
>election campaign.
>         "     Oscar Reyes looks at the likely implications for
> privatisation and surveillance of the 2012 Olympic Bid.
>         "     Neal Lawson searches for signs of Social Democracy in New
> Labour
>         "     Jeremy Valentine dissects the debate around managerialism
> and the meaning of New Labour's 'modernisation'.
>         "     Kerry Moore and Joanna Zylinska consider New Labour's
> politics of immigration.
>
>Signs of the Times
><http://www.signsofthetimes.org.uk/>http://www.signsofthetimes.org.uk/
>
>Signs of the Times is an independent, self-financed collective which
>exists to provide a space for the free circulation and exchange of ideas
>on the left, outside the confines of the academy and not limited by party
>loyalties or sectarian ideologies.
>
>We are seeking to expand our base of contributors to our on-line
>discussion papers which explore current cultural/political issues. Broadly
>speaking, these discussion papers provide more space for analysis than is
>generally provided by a newspaper article, but are shorter and more
>accessible than a piece in an academic journal. Therefore, we also often
>publish pieces based on academic journal articles or conference papers
>which the author has re-worked.
>
>Articles to date have included Doreen Massey on globalisation, Mark Curtis
>on the Iraq War, Paul Kingsnorth on the global justice movement and Stuart
>Hall on New Labour, alongside features about the politics of music, the
>meanings of terror, an interview with Adbusters founder Kalle Lasn, and
>an exploration of the world of management self-help theory.
>
>We very much welcome contributions about the politics of culture, in its
>broadest sense, as we are not simply looking for pieces on hard
>politics. Contributors to date have included - but are by no means limited
>to - academics, NGO workers, policy makers and journalists. The articles
>need to be connected to contemporary events and issues.
>

>Contributors guidelines:
>
>- We publish fairly lengthy, reflective magazine-style articles of
>approximately 2-4,000 words.
>
>- A short bibliography and/or hyperlinks to further reading and connected
>websites after the main text is encouraged. If you need to reference in
>the text itself, please use the Harvard system (Author, year of
>publication: page no) rather than footnotes or endnotes.
>
>- Please include an abstract or summary of your article of around 100-200
>words, together with up to 5 keywords, and a short biographical note of
>around 20-30 words.
>
>Please contact the content editor, Jeremy Gilbert on, or submit completed
>papers to, (info /at/ signsofthetimes.org.uk)
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info