[eccr] Call for chapters: Queer Intersections: Revisiting online media and queer sexualities

Thu Apr 21 11:53:46 GMT 2005

>Call for Chapters (edited book)
>

>Queer Intersections: Revisiting online media and queer sexualities
>

>Edited by Kate ORiordan and David J Philips
>

>Introduction
>

>This edited collection will bring together crucial examinations of the
>intersecting fields of sexuality and the internet, and will provide an
>overarching contextualisation and consolidation of cyber/queer practices
>and theories.
>

>In the early to mid-1990s, the repercussions of queer theory were being
>engaged across academic feminism and lesbian and gay studies.  At the same
>time, the internet was emerging as a key structuring device for academic
>networks, and as an important area of study.  With the advent of the
>commercial web in 1994 the internet intersected with popular culture, and
>key questions of modernity  identity, community, governance, time and
>space  intersected with the web as it unfolded across multiple social
>domains.  Whilst the mid-1990s wasnt the beginning of internet research,
>cybercultural studies, or queer, it was a period of sustained attention
>and excitement in relation to identity and the web.   Since then, there
>has been intense collision and collaboration between queer theory and
>cyberculture, as the imagined ideal queer subject and the imagined ideal
>cybersubject came to occupy the same ground.
>

>Moving on from and challenging this formulation, the book aims both to
>document queer internet practices and to limn their theoretical
>implications at the intersection of the fields of queer, technology, and
>communication studies.  Drawing on interviews with central actors,
>analyses of internet activity, syntheses of critical debates, and both new
>and historical research, the collection will provide both an overview and
>an in depth analysis of these engagements.
>

>We invite papers for consideration that complement either of the proposed
>sections of the book:
>

>Section 1 will provide theoretical contextualisations, histories and
>political economies of queer/communication technology intersections.
>

>Section 2 will showcase new and innovative work on queer sexuality and the
>internet that offers new insight, whilst also showing evidence of a
>rigorous connection to historical and theoretical context.
>

>Suggested topics and themes include (but are not limited to):
>

>·        Sexual identities practices and communities
>
>·        Art and activism
>
>·        Consumption
>
>·        Political economy
>
>·        Representation
>
>·        Performativity
>
>·        Queer theory
>

>Target Market and Readership
>

>The book aims to provide a contribution to course materials for
>postgraduate and undergraduate work in digital/new media/internet and
>communication studies, queer theory, cultural and gender studies. The
>collection also aims to support postdoctoral researchers by providing a
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info