Archive for April 2005

[eccr] Art, Media and the Spectacle of Conflict

Thu Apr 28 14:57:47 GMT 2005

>>CONFERENCE
>>Art, Media and the Spectacle of Conflict
>>School of Media, Art & Design
>>University of Luton (14-15 July 2005)
>>

>>Initiated by RIMAD (Research Institute for Media, Art and Design) at the
>>University of Luton, the First Conference on Art, Media and Conflict will
>>take place from 14-15 July 2005 at the University of Luton.
>>

>>CONCEPT
>>

>>Art, Media and the Spectacle of Conflict
>>

>> From the first televised war in the Gulf in 1991, via the live
>> Intifada, the destruction of the Twin Towers, to the night-vision images
>> of the shock and awe bombing of Iraq, modern conflict depends
>> increasingly on the spectacle. But what is the role of visual art in
>> times of political-military conflict, especially since the information
>> and communications revolutions of the last decade, which have increased
>> the overlaps and intersections between art and media? In the case of
>> modern conflict, can we differentiate between media and art? Or have
>> information communication technologies led to the subsuming of art
>> within the collective operations of a mass media that define the terms
>> by which individuals and groups think about the world?
>>
>>This two-day conference seeks to interrogate these, and other, questions.
>>Furthermore, it will ask: What are the political and commercial
>>considerations of art and media in relation to conflict? How might we
>>analyse the artistic content of media coverage of political-military
>>conflict? How do art and media construct or interpret violence, or
>>representations of friends or foes? What roles do art and media play in
>>the framing of our political world? Can we distinguish between the
>>political and the aesthetic in media and art representations of conflict?
>>Can we speak of an ethics of art, media and conflict: a moral art and a
>>responsible media? What is the place of visual art in relation to the
>>apparently insatiable appetite for the spectacle of war? Is contemporary
>>art -- as Paul Virillio contends -- pitiless, complicit in the
>>presentation of death and destruction, rather than representing human
>>suffering? What is the role of media and visual art in constructing a
>>narrative of conflict or conflict resolution? Can art challenge the
>>underlying social and political structures that accept war as inevitable?
>>
>>-Deadline for abstracts by Tuesday 31st May 2005.
>>
>>-Please send abstracts of up to 300 words alongside a brief bio or CV to:
>>Dr Jessica Ball ­ (Jessica.ball /at/ luton.ac.uk)

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info