Archive for April 2005

[eccr] Encyclopaedia of Radical Media: A Call for Contributors

Tue Apr 12 10:47:56 GMT 2005

>Professor John Downing (Director of the Global Media Research Centre at
>Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, USA) has been commissioned by
>Sage to edit an encyclopaedia of radical media.  He has asked me to be one
>of his assistant editors, with a brief for radical media in western europe
>and anarchist media (two distinct areas, but not mutually exclusive).
>
>We're looking for potential contributors to write short (50 -100 words)
>articles relevant to these two broad areas.  Specific topics are still to
>be finalised, but they would include examples of media from various
>countries and historical periods, as well as articles on relevant
>organisations, movements, indiviudals, groups, issues, concepts, etc.,
>etc.,  Whilst the focus is on 1900 - present, some attention will be given
>to earlier periods, though not in any detail.
>
>We'll also be putting together longer, contextual essays.
>
>Are there people out there who might be interested in contributing?
>
>I appreciate it's all a little vague right now, but part of the work is in
>identifying contributors who themselves might identify potential topics
>for inclusion.  In the best radical traditions we are not setting
>ourselves as the ultimate authorities...
>
>If anyone is interested - whether it's for a brief article or two or for
>lengthier essays, do let me know - I'm happy to discuss details further
>with anyone interested.
>
>Please recirculate this email to anyone you think might be interested.
>
>Finally, the publishers are urging us to move on this pretty swiftly - if
>you are interested, could you let me know by 25 April?
>
>Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
>Thanks for reading this far,
>
>Chris
>
>Below  are Professor Downing's draft objectives.
>
>Dr. Chris Atton
>Reader in Journalism
>School of Communication Arts
>Craighouse Campus
>Napier University
>Edinburgh
>Scotland
>EH10 5LG
>
>0131- 455 6127
>(c.atton /at/ napier.ac.uk)
>
>THE SAGE INTERNATIONAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ALTERNATIVE MEDIA AND COMMUNICATION
>READERSHIP: those with the equivalent of undergraduate study capacity
>(general public, students, media activists, media professionals). Public
>library use and also possibly course use.
>OBJECTIVES:  to provide a clearly written, concentrated source of
>information about the experiences of these media across the planet since 1900;
>
>to present the information "synoptically," that is to say organized in the
>first instance by successive periods of a decade or so, with reference to
>media- and communication- focused aspects of social movements during each
>period, in order to highlight the embedding of these media in the social,
>economic and political process, and to avoid segregating them into
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info