Archive for September 2004

[eccr] CMA Local and Community Television Research Project

Wed Sep 22 18:58:06 GMT 2004

>***WANTED: VIEWS ON THE FUTURE OF LOCAL TELEVISION***
>

>The Community Media Association, in association with the University of
>Lincoln, has commissioned an update of Simon Blanchards CMA/AHRB report:
>A Third Tier of Television: The Growth of Restricted Service Licence TV
>in the UK  Trends and Prospects (2001). The remit is to expand upon, as
>well as update, Blanchards original findings.
>

>The report, provisionally entitled Local and Community Television in a
>Digital World, will be geared towards a fortification of the CMAs policy
>base, as they seek to develop a coherent sector-wide approach to
>underpin forthcoming contributions to DCMS and OfCom initiated
>consultation processes  particularly around the development of a Local
>Digital Television Order, the securing of digital spectrum for local
>television services, and the continued development of media-centred
>community regeneration programmes.
>

>ALL CONTRIBUTIONS ARE WELCOME  to be received (preferably) before Friday
>October 22nd, so they can be included in the reports first drafting, and
>be included within ongoing strategic discussions. Contributions will be
>treated (on request) with the degree of confidentially stipulated.
>

>A summary of the research is included below. Feel free to contact me.
>

>Chris Hewson ((c.hewson /at/ lancaster.ac.uk))

>LINKS
>

>Community Media Association - www.commedia.org.uk
>
>CMA/AHRB Report - www.bftv.ac.uk/projects/thirdtier.htm

>LOCAL AND COMMUNITY TELEVISION IN A DIGITAL WORLD
>

>RESEARCH BRIEF
>

>This report foregrounds the vital role which LCTV stakeholders must play
>in ongoing debates around media reform and regulation  arguments centred
>around competing visions, and definitions, of converged media. It will
>argue that a clear understanding, and vision, of social and technological
>change, within an increasingly networked media ecology, is imperative, in
>order that the LCTV sector might develop robust policy positions, and
>appropriate business strategies, going forward. Through a brief
>examination of a number of LCTV cases, and building upon previous research
>the report will provide a concise synopsis of an increasingly diversified
>sector  in terms of both organisational form, and content created  as
>well contributing a number of significant recommendations which could
>inform forthcoming LCTV discussions.
>

>The report will embrace three key policy clusters. Firstly, new provisions
>within the Communications Act , in particular the burgeoning relationship
>between OfCom and the community media sector as a whole. Secondly, the
>work of the DTi/DCMS Digital Television Project, in particular the
>opportunities and dangers which digital switch-over presents for the LCTV
>sector, as well as the manner by which digitisation expands the range of
>prospective distribution mechanisms at the disposal of community media
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: 5B.454
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info
E-mail: (Nico.Carpentier /at/ kubrussel.ac.be)