Archive for September 2004

[eccr] Conference: The Dromocratic Condition

Wed Sep 22 19:23:17 GMT 2004

>The Dromocratic Condition:
>

>Contemporary Cultures of Acceleration
>

>An international, multi-disciplinary conference hosted by the School of
>English, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
>

>Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 March, 2005
>

>Keynote speakers:
>

>Douglas Kellner (UCLA, USA)
>

>John Armitage (Northumbria, UK)
>

>Theories of contemporary culture have foregrounded the significance of
>'late capitalism' or 'post-Fordism' (Jameson; Harvey); simulation and
>'hyper-reality' (Baudrillard); information technology and the 'inhuman'
>(Lyotard); the 'panopticon' (Foucault); 'communicative action' (Habermas);
>'desiring-production' and schizophrenia (Deleuze and Guattari); risk
>(Ulrich Beck); and the cyborg (Haraway).
>
>An alternative theorisation - which intersects with these perspectives,
>but diverges from them - views acceleration as the defining feature of the
>contemporary era. The French cultural theorist Paul Virilio has coined the
>term 'dromocracy' (from the Greek dromos: avenue or race course) to
>characterise this position. Under Virilio's 'dromocratic' reading of
>history, scientific, technological, societal, military, and cultural
>change is propelled by the pursuit of ever-increasing speed. Our own era -
>with its fibre-optic cables, satellite-linked communications networks,
>supersonic aircraft, and cruise missiles - is, Virilio suggests,
>approaching the limits of acceleration, and teeters on the edge of the
>'integral accident' - the true end of modernity.
>
>This conference invites papers that explore any aspect of what the social
>theorist John Armitage - re-orientating Lyotard's famous assessment of the
>contemporary - has called the 'dromocratic condition'. What are the key
>characteristics of the contemporary culture of acceleration? How has the
>pursuit of speed impacted upon contemporary subjectivity, upon strategies
>of warfare and terrorism, or upon experiences of space and time? How have
>theorists, activists, writers, artists, and filmmakers responded to the
>speed-up of contemporary life? Is there necessarily a connection between
>speed and destruction, or can high-speed technologies serve a progressive
>or radical agenda? Is speed truly, as Virilio has claimed, 'the location
>and the law, the world's destiny and its destination', or do movements
>exist that offer viable alternatives to the contemporary culture of
>acceleration?
>

>The organisers envisage that a special issue of the journal
><http://www.bergpublishers.com/uk/culture/culture_about.htm>Cultural
>Politics (http://www.bergpublishers.com/uk/culture/culture_about.htm) will
>result from the papers at the conference.
>

>Please send proposals (250-300 words) for 20-minute papers to Paul
>Crosthwaite at (p.j.crosthwaite /at/ ncl.ac.uk) or School of English Literature,
>Language, and Linguistics, Percy Building, University of Newcastle upon
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: 5B.454
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info