Archive for June 2004

[eccr] Fwd: Producing Popular Television Drama, 1960-82

Tue Jun 29 14:07:59 GMT 2004

>'Producing Popular Television Drama, 1960-82'
>
>A one-day symposium organised under the auspices of the Centre for
>Television Drama Studies, University of Reading, Saturday 16th October 2004
>
>Producing Popular Television Drama, 1960-82 is the third in a series of
>symposia on the subject of television history to be held at the University
>of Reading in 2003-2004, and is one of the outcomes of the AHRB-funded
>research project, Cultures of British Television Drama, 1960-82. Past
>events in this series include Reconsidering the Canon: Popular British
>Television Drama in the Sixties and Seventies (September 2003),
>and Breaking Boundaries in Television Historiography: Historical Research
>and the Television Archive (January 2004). You can find out more about
>these events and the project as a whole at the following website:
>http://www.rdg.ac.uk/FD/Research/cbtd.htm.
>
>Producing Popular Television Drama, 1960-82 will offer a series of in
>conversation panels/interviews with key producers, writers, and directors
>of popular television drama who were working in the industry during the
>period our research project is concerned with (1960-82). Confirmed
>speakers so far include Anna Home, Troy Kennedy Martin, Verity Lambert,
>Phillip Saville and Leonard White, who will all speak about their work in
>the field of television drama during this period and after (brief
>professional biographies of these speakers can be found at the end of this
>message). As a formative era in the history  of British television drama,
>we are particularly interested in talking to the creators of popular drama
>about the issues of creativity and experimentation in television drama
>production during the sixties and seventies. It is also hoped that this
>event will go some way towards establishing how distinctions between the
>forms of popular British television drama and flagship serious drama,
>were dependent on institutional forces and conflicts within and between
>television institutions, including the regional organisation of TV
>production, changes in policy and regulation, and the everyday detail of
>production practices. The organisers of the symposium also hope that the
>day will provide an important opportunity for scholars of television
>history and significant programme makers to talk, both formally and
>informally, about the past, present and future of television drama in
>Britain.
>
>Registration fee, including buffet lunch: £10 (£5 students/unwaged).
>Please let us know as soon as possible if you wish to attend.
>
>For more information and a booking form contact Dr. Helen Wheatley,
>Department of Film, Theatre & Television, University of Reading, Bulmershe
>Court, Reading, RG6 1HY ­ email. (h.m.wheatley /at/ reading.ac.uk).
>
>Booking forms can also be found on this website:
>http://www.rdg.ac.uk/FD/Research/TVsymposium.htm (from 7th July 2004).
>
>Biographies

> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info