Archive for May 2004

[eccr] ESA Media Conference, Greece Nov 2004

Tue May 11 10:08:57 GMT 2004

>EUROPEAN SOCIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
>
>          Research Network:  Sociology of Mass Media & Communications
>
>Network conference 2004; Call for papers
>
>As we have done for several years now the Network will hold a meeting
>between the biennial conferences of the ESA.  This years meeting will take
>place in Greece, due to the kind hospitality of the School of Journalism
>and Mass Communication, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
>
>The details are as follows:
>
>Dates:   November 5th to 7th 2004
>Place: Thessaloniki, Greece.
>Title: New Directions in European Media
>Eligibility:  All members of the ESA and all social scientists with an
>interest in social scientific understanding of media and communications.
>Financial Arrangements:   Delegates will be self-financing.  There will be
>a nominal conference participation fee of ¬50 (¬30 for students).  Local
>accommodation and meals will be supported by our hosts and will not be
>expensive.  A small amount of money is available from the ESA for support
>for younger scholars and for scholars from countries or universities where
>support is unlikely to be available.  It must be stressed that the sums
>available are very small, and the conference committee will need to be very
>selective in allocating such funds.   Anyone likely to need any such
>support should in the first instance send a brief explanation of the cause
>and scale of their need for support to Peter Golding in Loughborough.
>
>Programme;  Our title invites papers on any aspect of media or mass
>communications in Europe. We are especially interested in papers addressing
>new or comparative dimensions of this field, and which deploy innovative
>approaches from sociological or social science understanding to relevant
>problems.  We also welcome papers which relate the changing character of
>Europe itself to media and communications issues.  Among the topics which
>papers might address are the following ­
>(a) Is there an emerging European public sphere beyond the national?  How
>do we understand changing supra-national formations and activities in
>relation to communications and media?
>(b) Media industries, communications policy and cultural processes in the
>enlarged European Union;
>(c) The social implications of new media, new media practices and the
>reconfiguration of European society, politics and culture
>  Empirical research and theoretical discussion are equally welcome.  No
>topic broadly relevant to our theme and of interest to scholars in the
>sociology of media and communications will be excluded.
>The final Programme will include a social and cultural section and full
>details will be published nearer the event.  Links for local information
>will be provided on this website in due course.
>Languages:  The official languages of this international meeting will be
>English and Greek.  One opening session of the meeting will be conducted in
>Greek. Most sessions will be in English.

> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info