Archive for September 2003

[eccr] Globalisation, Regionalisation and the Information Society - A European and South(ern) African encounter

Tue Sep 30 14:44:57 GMT 2003

>          6b3f1.jpg
>Globalisation, Regionalisation and the Information Society
>A European and South(ern) African encounter
>Conference 9-10 October 2003, Bruges, Belgium
>             Organising Institutions:
>
> > Studies on Media, Information and Telecommunication (SMIT)
>.. Free University Brussels
>
> > Communication for Social Change (CSC)
>.. Catholic University Brussels
>
> > Institute for European Studies (IES)
>.. Free University Brussels
>
> > United Nations University
>.. Centre for Regional Integration Studies (UNU/CRIS)
>
> > Department of Communication (DoC)
>.. University of South Africa
>
> > Human Science Research Council South Africa (HSRC)
>.. Technikon Pretoria
>Supporting Networks:
>.
> > European Consortium for Communications Research
>
> > Club of Rome-Brussels-EU Chapter
>We are believed to live in a Global Information Society. Information and
>communication technologies are interconnecting far away regions and
>metropolitan nodes in a boundless information network. However, different
>regions in the world are struggling different battles to transform and
>adapt their societies to the new realities. The processes of
>globalization, regionalization and informationalization raise new societal
>and scientific questions. By bringing together European and South-African
>scholars this conference tries to come to grips with the new challenges
>ahead of us. By confronting European and South-African scholars this
>conference attempts to highlight differences and similarities. All too
>often the Information Society and its underlying technologies,
>communication structures and regulations are seen to be universally
>applicable. By focusing on both theory and empirical research on the
>South(ern) African region this conference wants to contribute to a better
>understanding of processes of social change in the different regions.
>
>This conference is scheduled at the end of a fruitful research and
>education project between SMIT (VUB), CSC (KUB), DoC (UNISA) and
>HSRC/Technikon Pretoria, which was financed by the Flemish and South
>African government (Bilateral Scientific and Technological Cooperation).
>Together with the other partners, IES (VUB) and UNU/CRIS, the results of
>this project will be presented and put in a broader international and
>academic context.
>
><http://smit.vub.ac.be/gris/>see also : http://smit.vub.ac.be/gris
>
>   Preliminary programme
>DAY 1: THURSDAY 9 OCTOBER 2003
>13.30-14.00
>   Registration
>14.00-14.30
>   Welcome and Introduction
>.. Mandi Mzimba (Minister Science and Technology , South African Embassy)
>
>   THEME 1: THE CONCEPT OF THE INFORMATION SOCIETY
>
>14.30-15.00
>   Keynote: Globalisation and the Information Society
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
<http://www.kubrussel.ac.be/>Katholieke Universiteit Brussel - Catholic
University of Brussels
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
E-mail: (Nico.Carpentier /at/ kubrussel.ac.be)

Attachment Converted: 6b3f11.jpg: 00000001,3abd1978,00000000,00000000