Archive for September 2003

[eccr] CFP: CACS--CULTUREPOLES: City Spaces, Urban Politics & Metropolitan Theory

Tue Sep 02 14:23:34 GMT 2003

>Please circulate widely
>
>CALL FOR PAPERS AND PANEL DISCUSSIONS
>Deadline: October 20th 2003
>
>CULTUREPOLES:
>City Spaces, Urban Politics & Metropolitan Theory
>
>Canadian Association of Cultural Studies
>February 13-15, 2004
>Hamilton, Ontario
>
>Cultural Studies has, as Colin Sparks remarked twenty-five years ago, been
>constituted out of a "veritable rag bag" of competing ideas. Yet the
>leitmotifs of the field (commodification, reproduction, hegemony, mass
>culture, popular culture, and the culture industry) are suggestive of a
>shared genealogy in the historical transition from the manufacturing
>centre to the suburbanized spatialities of consumer society. In this
>respect, North American and European cultural studies can be viewed as a
>project almost coterminous with the shifting structure of the first-world
>capitalist city.
>
>In the era of mechanical reproduction, the linkage between capital,
>population and cultural production seemed unproblematic: New York, London,
>Tokyo, Shanghai and Paris were calculated as the five largest cities in
>the world. The diffusion of cultural goods from metropolitan to the
>periphery was a secondary question most often answered in terms of
>infrastructural capacity. Current economic, technological and demographic
>tendencies undermine this perceived position of the city as
>supra/structural template for mapping the production and consumption of
>social meaning. The concept of the "culturepole" seeks to facilitate a
>rethinking of this oft naturalized relation between cultural studies and
>the first-world capitalist city.
>
>In this context, Culturepoles, the 2004 conference of the Canadian
>Association of Cultural Studies, seeks to critically engage with questions
>of the location of culture and cultural studies through a conscious
>revisiting of the city as a site for the production of theory,
>dominant/resistant cultural practices, and as the location of radical
>politics. Possible topics include but are not limited to:
>
>- metropolitan theory
>- ethnicity, race and the city
>- the country, the city and the suburb
>- cultural practices in and against the city
>- urban activisms
>- global cultural studies
>- urban soundscapes and visualscapes
>- regional cultural studies
>- concentrations of cultural capital/production
>- the politics of infrastructure
>
>Papers that fall outside of the conference theme, but which deal with
>topics in cultural studies, will also be considered. We are especially
>interested in sessions organized by urban activists, artists and cultural
>workers, as well as reports from research groups and non-governmental
>organizations that deal with the issues outline above.
>
>Abstracts of no more than 250 words (preferably in e-mail form) should be
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
W1: http://smit.vub.ac.be/
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/