Archive for publications, December 2023

[Commlist] Eludamos new issue published vol. 14 no. 1: Futures of Games and Game Studies

Thu Dec 14 22:30:25 GMT 2023

On behalf of the editorial team at /Eludamos: Journal for Computer Game Culture/, I am delighted to announce that we have just published our latest issue!

You can find the issue at eludamos.org <https://septentrio.uit.no/index.php/eludamos/index>, or with the issue’s DOI: https://doi.org/10.7557/23.141 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.141>

This issue of /Eludamos /is aimed at reflecting upon both the present state and possible futures of games, game studies, and the world. The papers collected here contribute to an engaged and open-ended social critique not only attempting to achieve improved understanding (negative critical mode) but also trying to actively question and change conditions identified as problematic (positive reconstructive mode). For this purpose, we have gathered seven scholarly articles, one book review, and one commentary that all address potential futures of games, play, game development, and game studies from critical and (re)constructive vantage points.

_EDITORIAL_

*Editorial: Futures*

Holger Pötzsch and Kristine Jørgensen

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7324 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7324>

_ARTICLES_

*Reimagining a future for game studies, from the ground up*

Nicholas T. Taylor

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7102 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7102>

*Time to stop playing: No game studies on a dead planet*

Emil L. Hammar, Carolyn Jong and Joachim Despland-Lichtert

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7109 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7109>

*Fancies explained: Converting symbolic capital into NFTs*

Alesha Serada

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.6666 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.6666>

*A future already past? The promises and pitfalls of cryptogames, blockchain, and speculative play*

Hans-Joachim Backe

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7131 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7131>

*Narrative selfies and player–character intimacy in interface games*

Agata Waszkiewicz

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.6588 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.6588>

*Playing on life’s terms: Behavioral strategies for changing situations*

Elisa Wiik and Kati Alha

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7115 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7115>

*Young video game players‘ self-identified toxic gaming behaviour: An interview study*

Mario Ruotsalainen and Mikko Meriläinen

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7270 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7270>

_REVIEWS_

*Book review: /Literature, Videogames and Learning/ by Andrew Burn*

Rob Gallagher

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7286 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7286>

_COMMENTARIES_

*Game worker solidarity: Mapping collective actions in the video games industry*

Austin Kelmore and Jamie Woodcock

https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7342 <https://doi.org/10.7557/23.7342>