Archive for publications, August 2009

[ecrea] Special Issue of Popular Communication

Wed Aug 19 05:03:56 GMT 2009

Special issue of Popular Communication on Digital Convergence in Latin America

Dear Colleagues of the Philosophy of Communication Division,

As Chair of the Popular Communication Division I would like to inform you of the latest Special Issue of the Division's journal Popular Communication: The International Journal of Media and Culture on "Digital Convergence in the Critical Fields of Culture, Communication, and Regulation in Latin America" which we hope will be of interest to many of our colleagues in your Division.

The issue offers an outstanding collection of articles on the phenomenon of convergence in Latin America and on its cultural and social consequences, featuring articles by Néstor García Canclini, Jesús Martín Barbero, José Cabrera Paz, Ana María Ochoa and Carolina Botero, Raúl Trejo Delarbre and our guest editor Rosalía Winocur of Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Mexico.

We are excited about having been able to translate five of the six articles from Spanish, thereby overcoming the linguistic barrier that often impedes the wider discussion and examination of Latin American experiences of and with digital convergence.

Guest Editor's Introduction

"New Intersections for Thinking About Digital Convergence in the Critical Fields of Culture, Communication, and Regulation in Latin America," Rosalía Winocur

Translator's Introduction, Margaret Schwartz

"Techno-Cultural Convergence: Wanting to Say Everything, Wanting to Watch Everything," José Cabrera Paz

"How Digital Convergence is Changing Cultural Theory," Néstor García Canclini

"Digital Convergence in Cultural Communication," Jesús Martín Barbero

"Notes on Practices of Musical Exchange in Colombia," Ana María Ochoa and Carolina Botero

"Digital Television: Options and Decisions in Latin America," Raúl Trejo Delarbre

"Digital Convergence as the Symbolic Medium of New Practices and Meanings in Young People's Lives," Rosalía Winocur

Access to the journal is free to all Popular Communication Division members via the ICA website. If you are not a member of Popular Communication yet, you can gain immediate access to journal (including all back issues) when you join us by visiting MyICA (http://www.icahdq.org/myica/index.asp<https://outlook2003.surrey.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.icahdq.org/myica/index.asp>) and selecting "Add/Change My Sections <https://outlook2003.surrey.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://www.icahdq.org/membership/sectionchange.asp>". Annual Division membership is $8 and includes a free online subscription to Popular Communication.

Cornel Sandvoss,
Chair Popular Communication
International Communication Association
http://www.icahdq.org/