Archive for calls, March 2024

[Commlist] PG Conference SPACE[S] Call for Papers

Wed Mar 27 11:49:34 GMT 2024

We are pleased to announce that the *College of Arts & Humanities Postgraduate Conference 2024* <https://spacesconference2024.wordpress.com/>is scheduled to take place in a hybrid format on *13-14 June at the University of Glasgow*. The conference theme is *‘**Space(s),*’and we are now accepting paper submissions.

The deadline for abstract submissions is *April 15th, 2024, 23:59 BST.*

**

*COLLEGE OF ARTS & HUMANITIES POSTGRADUATE CONFERENCE 2024: *

*SPACE[S]*

*CALL FOR PROPOSALS*

*Deadline for abstracts:* *Deadline April 15 2024, 23.59 BST*

*Conference dates: *13-14 June 2024

/“Beneath the veneer of common-sense and seemingly ‘natural’ ideas about space and time, there lie hidden terrains of ambiguity, contradiction, and struggle. Conflicts arise not merely out of admittedly diverse subjective appreciations, but because different objective material qualities of time and space are deemed relevant to social life in different situations. Important battles likewise occur in the realms of scientific, social, and aesthetic theory, as well as in practice. How we represent space and time in theory matters, because it affects how we and others interpret and then act with respect to the world.” // /

(Harvey 1989,p. 205)

Space[s] can be understood literally, but also metaphorically. Our lives are so space-oriented that we cannot begin to understand the loss of it. Space[s] are where borders have been historically drawn, where conflicts have emerged and continue to, and even where utopias are built and imagined.  Space[s] are potential fields for conflict, revolution, dialogue, exchange, and interaction. Spaces play a pivotal role in our everyday lives, shaping every occurrence of it. As a theory, we can trace the spatial turn in Humanities to Gilles Deleuze’s ideas about and contextualisation of space, which cannot be found in a singular text, but rather emerge throughout his writings about diverse topics (Harris 2005, 36). As it happens in Deleuze’s work, space can be ‘present’ in a variety of topics and disciplines, under multiple meanings. As a concept, space[s] can be understood and investigated in various ways: How are spaces used during conflicts and revolutions? How do spaces become subject to resignifications? How can we re-imagine postcolonial, environmental, digital spaces?
*We warmly welcome proposals from postgraduate scholars across all disciplines on the theme of 'space[s]' for our hybrid 2024 conference. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:*

  * Cultural Space and Crossroads of Identity
  * Reimagining Postcolonial Spaces
  * Perspectives on Spatial Boundaries and Power
  * Internal, External, Metaphysical, and Literal Spaces
  * Digital and Artificial Spaces
  * Revolutionary Uses of Space and Place
  * Infrastructure, Environment, and Post-human Spaces
  * Borders, Abolition, and Body Politics
  * Spaces of Creation and Destruction

*Types of work accepted:*

  * 20-minute presentations (creative formats encouraged)
  * 10-minute presentations (designed to explore a particular concept
    and/or for first-year PGs)
  * Poster presentations
  * Pre-arranged panels

*Submissions:*

  * For individual papers, please send a proposed title with a 300-word
    abstract, including five or six keywords and a 100-word personal bio;
  * For pre-arranged panels, please send a proposed title and a 600-word
    proposal (each panel should have between 3-4 papers ready).

Please send your submissions to (arts-pgconference /at/ glasgow.ac.uk) <mailto:%(20arts-pgconference /at/ glasgow.ac.uk)>by *Monday, 15 April 2024, 23.59 BST.*
*Email :*(arts-pgconference /at/ glasgow.ac.uk) <mailto:(arts-pgconference /at/ glasgow.ac.uk)>

*Twitter :*@UofGArtsPGConf

*Website: *https://spacesconference2024.wordpress.com ;