Archive for calls, March 2024

[Commlist] Race and Data, CfP

Wed Mar 06 16:04:46 GMT 2024

Call for Papers

*Race and Data*

One Day symposium

April 18 2024

10am - 5pm

Deadline: 15th March 2024

Venue: 320 Pomerene Hall, Ohio State University

Supported by: Translational Data Analytics Institute, OSU

What does Race and Data mean in your field of study? What are their materialities, technologies, ecologies, politics and media? What are their stories? How does Race work in the machine of your knowledge production? What is data? What is race? How do we understand bias in technology and infrastructure? When are Race and Data different and when are they the same? How do we understand Race and Data in the context of what we call “Artificial Intelligence”? Is a data analytics of liberation at a time of anthropogenic climate breakdown possible? How does your research deal with these weathers and becomings? How have these categories influenced your discipline and research? What formats and futures are reproduced? What does a just data science and an otherwise data look like?

We welcome contributions from any field/discipline on any topic that considers the implications of these terms in whatever form and way they come to understand it, in an invitation for a livable futures. From the Social Sciences, Computation, the Humanities, Architecture, Engineering, Public Health, Agriculture, Law, Ecology, Literature and performance and the otherwise, send your research, work in progress, performances, art and pieces of science to be part of a convening, discussion and critical engagement on the 18th of April 2024 at the Translational Data Analytics Institute.

Send your abstracts (250 words excluding bibliography) with a short bio to (bhat.115 /at/ osu.edu) <mailto:(bhat.115 /at/ osu.edu)> by the 15th of March 2024. Some funding particularly for regional participants might be available.