Archive for calls, February 2022

[Commlist] Symposium "AI in the City: AI in the City: Building Civic Engagement and Public Trust"

Fri Feb 04 20:52:25 GMT 2022

We invite you to join us next Thursday, February 10 at the “AI in the City: Building Civic Engagement and Public Trust” symposium on Zoom, for a day of discussions on what civic engagement and public trust in the era of artificial intelligence (AI) can look like in cities. The Symposium will be an opportunity to consolidate a network of interdisciplinary scholars, activists, and practitioners involved in a diverse range of initiatives — from research to advocacy — to map strategies and take this agenda forward.

We aim to share experiences centred on academia and civil society from cities around the world. Bringing in local, national and global perspectives, the symposium will explore trustworthy technology, participation in AI, digital rights, data ethics, algorithmic impact assessments, and tech policy in urban spaces.

One of the main outcomes of this conversation will be an open access publication featuring short essays from all participants that will be available in English, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.

Please find the program and registration link for the public panels below.

PROGRAM - FEBRUARY 10

Moderated by Ana Brandusescu (McGill University) and Jess Reia (University of Virginia)

09:30 EST | PANEL: PUBLIC TRUST AND AI

Bianca Wylie, Tech Reset Canada / Digital Public

Chenai Chair, Mozilla Foundation / My Data Rights (Africa)

Michael Cañares, StepUp Consultants

Nanjira Sambuli, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

Renata Ávila, Open Knowledge Foundation

13:00 EST | PANEL: MEANINGFUL CIVIC ENGAGEMENT WITH DATA AND AI

Caroline Running Wolf, UBC / Indigenous Protocol & AI Working Group

J. Carlos Lara, Derechos Digitales

Mich Spieler

Renée Cummings, University of Virginia

Renée Sieber, McGill University

The panels are free and open to the public. Register here: https://www.mcgill.ca/centre-montreal/channels/event/symposium-ai-city-building-civic-engagement-and-public-trust-337139 <https://www.mcgill.ca/centre-montreal/channels/event/symposium-ai-city-building-civic-engagement-and-public-trust-337139>

We appreciate the generous support of the Center for Interdisciplinary Research on Montreal at McGill University, McConnell Foundation, Mellon Foundation and the School of Data Science at the University of Virginia.

Please reach out to Jess Reia ((reia /at/ virginia.edu) <mailto:(reia /at/ virginia.edu)>) and Ana Brandusescu ((ana.brandusescu /at/ mail.mcgill.ca) <mailto:(ana.brandusescu /at/ mail.mcgill.ca)>) for additional info/questions.