Archive for calls, March 2020

[Commlist] CFP: 1st Interdisciplinary Perspectives in Transitional Justice Conference (8-9 July 2020) and PGR Pre-Conference (7-8 July 2020)

Tue Mar 10 15:34:09 GMT 2020

*Interdisciplinary Perspectives in Transitional Justice Conference (8-9 July) and PGR Pre-Conference (7-8 July), Loughborough University, UK*

http://ahrc-transitionaljustice.org.uk/index.php/transitional-justice-conference/

Submissions for the first Interdisciplinary Perspectives in Transitional Justice Conference and expressions of interest for the PGR pre-conference workshops are requested by *Sunday 15^th March 2020*.

    _Interdisciplinary Perspectives in Transitional Justice 8-9 July 2020_

A two-day conference at Loughborough University

James France Conference Centre, Loughborough, UK

*Conference chairs*: Dr Cristian Tileagă (Loughborough University, UK) and Professor Lavinia Stan (St Francis Xavier University, Canada).

The conference is supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the Centre for Research in Communication and Culture (CRCC) at Loughborough University.

*Keynote speaker*

Professor Ruti Teitel (Ernst C.Stiefel Professor of Comparative Law, New York Law School, US)*. *Author of /Transitional Justice <https://global.oup.com/academic/product/transitional-justice-9780195100648>/ (OUP, 2000) and /Globalizing Transitional Justice <https://global.oup.com/academic/product/globalizing-transitional-justice-9780190221379?q=Globalizing%20Transitional%20Justice&lang=en&cc=gb>/ (OUP, 2014).

*Conference themes*

Transitional justice has become established as a flourishing field of research and societal impact. The conference is the first of its kind to bring together different disciplines within the broader field of transitional justice: history, political sciences, law and criminal justice, media, journalism and communications, social psychology/sociology, human geography, religious studies, arts and languages, as well as digital humanities.

We invite contributions and reflections on the effectiveness, and afterlife, of transitional justice practices, national and trans-national concerns with transitional justice, political and public effectiveness of transitional justice practices, programs, and methods. We welcome contributions on any country/region. The key goal of the conference is to showcase existing and novel avenues in interdisciplinary scholarship in the field of transitional justice. Proposals for traditional panel papers are welcome, as are proposals for symposia, and roundtables, on any topic relevant to any aspect of the themes addressed above.

*Submissions*

Abstracts of up to 200 words for presentations of 20 minutes are invited to be submitted by 15 March 2020. Presentations will be organized in thematic sessions. We also welcome panel and roundtable submissions with 4-5 speakers and discussant.

*Abstract, title, author(s) name and institutional affiliation should be sent to our Conference Manager, Rachel Armitage ((R.S.Armitage /at/ lboro.ac.uk) <mailto:(R.S.Armitage /at/ lboro.ac.uk)>). *

Unfortunately, due to constraints on space, we are unable to accommodate posters. However, we will accept blitz presentations (short 5-minute presentation in which authors present a poster in Prezi format in front of an audience). All blitz presentations will be organized in thematic sessions.

Any queries related to submissions should be addressed to the conference chairs, Cristian Tileagă ((C.Tileaga /at/ lboro.ac.uk) <mailto:(C.Tileaga /at/ lboro.ac.uk)>) and Lavinia Stan ((lstan /at/ stfx.ca) <mailto:(lstan /at/ stfx.ca)>).

Conference AV facilities will be available in all rooms. It will also be possible to use your own laptop.

*Registration*: £150. Fee includes a printed copy of the conference programme and lunch on both conference days (8-9 July 2020)

*_Pre-conference workshops 7-8 July 2020_*

Pre-conference workshops are open to postgraduate research students who are currently enrolled on a doctoral studies programme and post-docs in political science, history, law and criminal justice, media, journalism and communications, social psychology/sociology, human geography, religious studies, arts and languages, as well as digital humanities. Places are limited to 25 participants.  All places include free accommodation at the Loughborough University East Midlands campus.

*Please submit proof of enrolment on a programme of doctoral studies or post-doc to our Conference Manager, Rachel Armitage ((R.S.Armitage /at/ lboro.ac.uk) <mailto:(R.S.Armitage /at/ lboro.ac.uk)>). Please secure your place as soon as possible – first come, first served!*

*Workshop Programme**

7^th July 2020

Workshop Convenor: Dr Alena Pfoser & Dr Guzel Yusupova (Loughborough University)

*/Fostering dialogue in heritage communication/*//

How do we talk about contested histories in a way that encourages understanding and dialogue with the ‘other’? In the workshop we will analyse excerpts from tour guide narratives and interviews with tour guides who work in settings shaped by memory conflict. We will talk about risks in heritage communication and identify productive and less productive strategies for communicating difficult topics.

8^th July 2020

Workshop Convenor: Dr Agata Fijalkowski (Leeds Law School)

*/Exploring the Cold War Visually/*

Do photographs speak legally? This workshop will consider this question in connection with the dispensation of justice in the immediate post-WW2 period. We will look at images, archival materials, specific vignettes and readings – with the aim to engage, challenge and unpack key legal historical narratives about justice from that particular time frame.

*Please note that the pre-conference workshops have been scheduled so participants will also be able to attend substantive parts of the main conference on 8^th July.