Archive for calls, February 2008

[ecrea] CFP on Publics Formation

Wed Feb 27 19:30:09 GMT 2008

>CALL FOR PAPERS: HERITAGE AND PRACTICES OF
>PUBLIC FORMATION: A Special Issue of the International
>Journal of Heritage Studies
>
>The International Journal of Heritage Studies
>invites submissions for a special
>theme issue devoted to a critical consideration
>of the implications of heritage
>practices in regard to the re-articulation of
>existing publics and the formation
>of new ones.
>
>Those who think heritage is only about the past
>have got it wrong. Practices of
>heritage are always about the future. Such practices are inherently implicated
>in enduring questions regarding the viable substance of social life, questions
>which include the problem of human connection across historically structured
>differences of time and place. Heritage practices present an arena of social
>participation. They not only offer meanings and affect that help consolidate
>exiting social solidarities, but they also offer the possibility of new
>connections among diverse people, connections essential for the continual
>renewal of democratic life and the attainment of environmental sustainability
>in an increasingly complex and interdependent world.
>
>This issue of IJHS will be devoted to
>discussions of heritage practice that move
>beyond the notion of a public as an identifiable
>pre-existing set of people who
>form the potential audience for any given heritage event and who are then
>reminded of their connections to each other
>through their collective attention.
>In these circumstances, previously constituted identities and/or interests are
>often invoked to explain the thoughts and feelings that tie people to each
>other, establishing their willingness to accept a given normative basis for
>shared values and institutions. Differently from
>this concern with how heritage
>practices are implicated in the reproduction of existing social relations, for
>this issue we are encouraging explorations that start with the idea that as
>plural formations, publics may be initiated and consolidated when strangers
>come to recognize new shared interests and affinities. Thus our focus is the
>way diverse sets of people engage with various forms of both tangible and
>intangible heritage forging relationships that were not pre-existing.
>
>When heritage practices are implicated in this moment of the making (or
>re-making) of collectivities, something of what Hannah Arendt called
>world-making happens. In such moments, through engagements with
>representations of the past and each other, varied people may come to
>understand themselves in new ways as members of a public in formation. An
>important consequence of considering heritage practices on such terms is that
>it extends the manner in which such practices may be understood to be both
>political and pedagogical. More concretely stated, heritage practices within
>but not limited to museums, urban landscapes, internet web sites, tourist
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/