Archive for calls, March 2007

[ecrea] ECREA Diaspora, Migration and the Media Section workshop - call for papers

Fri Mar 23 16:15:33 GMT 2007

>Dear all,
>
>Please see the call below. Apologies for cross-postings.
Eugenia Siapera <(es107 /at/ LE.AC.UK)>

>ECREA
>DIASPORA, MIGRATION AND THE MEDIA SECTION (DMM)
>
>EUROPEAN WORKSHOP
>
>Mediations of Cultural Difference:
>Debating Media and Diversity
>
>7 and 8 September 2007
>University of Leeds
>
>Confirmed Keynote Speakers
>
>Marie Gillespie, Open University
>Charles Husband, Bradford University
>Kim Knott, Leeds University;
>Director of AHRC 'Diasporas, Migration and Identities' programme
>
>The necessity to have an ongoing debate on the 'political imaginary of
>heterogeneity' (Werbner, 2002: 276) is revealed in the face-to-face
>encounters in the streets of today's metropoles, the mediated urban,
>national and transnational encounters within and beyond European cultural
>scapes, as well as in the mediated political actions and reactions around
>diversity and its implications. It is this articulation of the debate
>around cultural difference, communication, and the media that is the prime
>focus of this workshop. How might we view the media role in this
>discussion? And what about other forms of communicative practices that may
>feed into the debate? Who participates in the debate and what form does
>this participation take? Do the (new) media lead in new forms of
>identities, subjectivities and solidarities? Conversely, do they lead to
>new forms of exclusion and conformism, and to new fundamentalisms?
>

>Call for Papers
>
>In this spirit we call for papers that both participate in, and reflect
>upon the wider conduct of this debate. We invite submissions that engage
>with, but are not restricted to, the following themes:
>
>* Cosmopolitanism, transnationalism and diasporas: thinking about the
>edges of the nation-state.
>
>* Diaspora and cultural domesticity: sustaining traditions? The
>conservative aspects of cultural diversity
>
>* Diasporas and alternative media: producing political 'meaning'/ethics?
>
>* The city and the urban politics of representation
>
>* Cultural diversity and marginalized voices: politics of media
>representation and ethics
>
>* Multicultural backlash: opposition to multiculturalism and the role of
>the media
>
>* Bottom-up multiculturalism: everyday (multi)cultural encounters
>
>* New media and multiculturalism: what does the internet add?
>
>* Diaspora and digital narratives: loss, gain, negotiations, and
>interpretations
>
>* Blogosphere and diasporas: a new public sphere?
>
>* Media consumption: what can we learn from ethnic and diasporic media
>use?
>
>* New theoretical interrogations on media, multiculturalism,
>cosmopolitanism, diaspora.
>

>Abstracts should be sent to: (diaspora-media /at/ leeds.ac.uk) by May 1, 2007.
>

>Fees: £50.00 (Full-time staff and professionals) £30.00 (Students)
>
>More information will be published as it becomes available at:
>http://ics.leeds.ac.uk/ecrea-diasporamedia

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
NEW BOOK: Researching media, democracy and participation.
The intellectual work of the 2006 European media
and communication doctoral summer school.
Available at: http://young.meso.ee/?q=node/54
ICA 2007 Conference [Theme] website @
http://www.vub.ac.be/icatheme07/
!!!!!!NEW!!!!!!!!
Free ECREA Communication Doctoral Summer School Book
"Researching media, democracy and participation" at:
http://www.comsummerschool.org/
---
ECREA Book Series publication
"Reclaiming the Media"
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/ppbooks.php?isbn81841501635
with in the body of the message (NOT in the subject): unsubscribe ecrea
Postal address: ECREA - P.O. Box 106, B-1210 Brussels 21, Belgium
Email: (ecrea /at/ ulb.ac.be)