Archive for May 2024

[Commlist] Call for papers JERAA 2024 (Australia)

Wed May 22 13:48:19 GMT 2024

Call For Papers

2024 JERAA Conference

University of Melbourne

Wednesday 27 - Friday 29 November 2024

Early Career Researchers Day Tuesday 26 November 2024

Forward: facing the next wave of journalism disruption

‘Forward’ is about imagining and preparing for the future and then proceeding to face the challenges and possibilities ahead. For contemporary journalism, it implies critically anticipating and dealing with the consequences of seemingly endless waves of technological disruption. This year, the news industry - practitioners, educators, researchers and consumers - are experiencing the impacts of Artificial Intelligence, the defunding of news on digital platforms, copyright battles, further downsizing of media businesses and the belligerence of big tech, and all in the context of looming elections and global conflict. The 2024 JERAA conference will offer space to consider these pressing social and technological issues, as well as our role as educators and researchers in working to future-proof the industry, craft and discipline of journalism.

We invite abstracts and panel proposals that include (but are not exclusive to) industry and education discussions and theoretical and empirical research on the following themes:

*Digital platforms: The line in the sand or the “post social media” moment?

Sovereign states versus Big Tech

The News Media Bargaining Code and its international adaptations

Trends and challenges for sovereign states in regulating digital platforms

The news media industry after the decline of news on social media

*Identity and news

Australian journalism after The Voice referendum

First Nations media in Australia and across the globe

Race, feminism, LGBTQ+ inclusion in newsrooms and journalism

Safety and online abuse

*Activism, advocacy and journalism

Freedom and journalism in war zones

New forms of journalism in conflict zones

Freedom fighters, civil rights and journalists in prison

Reportage in Gaza and Ukraine

Covering protests

*Misinformation, fact-checking and ethical behaviour

Hyper-partisan and far-right media and the polarisation of news

Covering elections and political campaigns

Science journalism after COVID-19: climate change, health crises

Journalism ethics on trial, both legally and in the court of public opinion.

*Trauma, stigma and framing (for good or evil)

Lessons from Bondi

Who is a terrorist?

Covering gendered violence

Guidelines for reporting suicide in Indigenous communities

*Educating and training journalists

Learning and teaching journalism for international students in Australia

What to do about AI and journalism?

Podcasting and excellence in audio storytelling

New trends in authentic and experiential learning in journalism

Collaboration to tell big stories

Abstracts and panel proposals due Friday 12 July 2024. To be emailed to (jeraa-2024 /at/ unimelb.edu.au)

The Centre for Advancing Journalism warmly invites you to the JERAA conference on the campus of the University of Melbourne on the lands of Wurundjeri and Boonwurrung People during the last week of November 2024. The JERAA Early Career Researchers Day will be held on Tuesday 26 November, followed by the main conference between Wednesday and Friday 27-29 November.

On Wednesday 27 November we will hold a joint session with the annual AANZCA (Australian and Aotearoa New Zealand Communication Association) conference. This rare occasion will be an opportunity to network with colleagues and discuss issues that are critical to both associations. We will also host AANZCA for a joint celebration to mark the end of their conference and the beginning of ours.

We encourage AANZCA members to stay on and participate at JERAA. For those intending to do so, we offer a 15% discount on the conference price.

We are delighted to announce our first keynote speaker.

Casey Mock is the Chief Policy and Public Affairs Officer at the Center for Humane Technology in the US. His keynote will share latest CHT research examining AI and deception and consider how AI disturbs coverage of this year's US Presidential Election. It will also explore how misinformation/disinformation harms people's right to freedom of speech, and freedom to think, and what journalists can do to constructively respond.

Further details, including information about keynote speakers, panel sessions and the Early Career Researchers Day will be provided in coming weeks.

Further information:

Main conference email:  (jeraa-2024 /at/ unimelb.edu.au)

Andrew Dodd (adodd /at/ unimelb.edu.au)

Caroline James-Garrod (caroline.jamesgarrod /at/ unimelb.edu.au)

Silvia Montana Nino (silvia.montanan /at/ unimelb.edu.au)

Sami Shah (sami.shah /at/ unimelb.edu.au)

Louisa Lim (louisa.lim /at/ unimelb.edu.au)

JERAA 2024 is supported by the University of Melbourne’s Centre for Advancing Journalism, Mindframe, Our Watch, Dart Asia Pacific, and Media Super.