Archive for February 2024

[Commlist] CFP Imagining possible futures

Wed Feb 14 17:20:05 GMT 2024

In response to several requests, we have decided to extend the deadline for abstract submissions for the international conference /Imagining possible futures/. *The new deadline is February 16*.

*****

Call for Papers

*Imagining **possible futures:*

*Multidisciplinary engagements with access, **agency and participation*

University of Jyväskylä, Finland, June 17–19, 2024

Keynote speakers: Luci Pangrazio (Deakin University, Melbourne), Kaarina Nikunen (University of Tampere) and Veli-Matti Karhulahti (University of Jyväskylä)

“When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me. Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.”

It is hard to think of a more appropriate term than "times of trouble" to describe the current era of uncertainties, environmental crises, pandemic, wars, uncontrolled technological disruption, and political radicalization. Paul McCartney apparently had a clear plan for turbulent times: just let it be. Such a stance, however, is not the only possible one – neither the recommended default choice.

The future is not fixed nor predetermined. Instead, it is something created through political choices on both micro and macro levels. While the decision not to act (or let things just be) leaves the space open for other agents to push forward their imaginaries, desires, and ambitions, sometimes doing nothing is doing a lot. That said, imagining alone is not enough, and not all people share equal opportunities for forging their futures. Indeed, there have been cautions against the magic of voluntarism, that is, the imaginary belief that we can solve all our problems through acts of individual will, casting aside any collective critique of the system in which we find ourselves. However, the ability to imagine – think differently – is a prerequisite for seeing and seeking alternatives.

The conference welcomes theoretical, empirical and practical contributions. Contribution types include individual papers, thematic symposia, hands-on workshops and roundtable discussions. In your contribution, you may consider the following questions but are not limited to them:

·How are you currently positioned to cultivate hope and to imagine possible futures at your work?

·What kinds of engagement with multimodal realities do we envisage for communication?

·How could (multi)literacy be connected to hope and imagining?

·How to reach those who choose to “let it be”?

·Who has the right and power to imagine and forge their past, present and future?

·How to shake structures to create space for hope?

*Key dates*

*Extended d**eadline*for all proposals *16.2.2024*

Notes of acceptance and registration opens *15.3.2024*

Presenters’ registration ends *30.4.2024*

Early bird registration ends *30.4.2024*

For more information, please visit the conference website <https://www.jyu.fi/en/congress/imagining-possible-futures>or contact us by email <mailto:(multileap /at/ jyu.fi)>.

/Looking forward to seeing you in Jyväskylä! Please share this invitation widely!/

The MultiLEAP organizing team:
Sari Sulkunen (chair)

Maija Lappalainen (conference secretary)

Terhi Paakkinen (conference secretary)

Päivi Iikkanen

Reeta Karjalainen

Tero Karttula

Pekka Mertala

Tarja Nikula-Jäntti

Anne Pitkänen-Huhta

Marko Siitonen

Niina Sormanen

Karoliina Talvitie-Lamberg

Mirja Tarnanen

/The conference is organized by //MultiLEAP, a multidisciplinary researcher community at the University of Jyväskylä. MultiLEAP examines the uses, practices and modes of multiliteracies, emerging at the interfaces of the contexts of education, free time and working life with particular emphasis on access, participation, equity, agency, and well-being./