Archive for February 2024

[Commlist] Visual Sociology meeting Xalapa, MX 2024

Fri Feb 02 16:16:19 GMT 2024

On behalf of the International Visual Sociology Association, we invite media and communications scholars to consider joining us in Xalapa in June.

The 2024 IVSA conference is dedicated to exploring the concept of “visual accountability” or visually mediated practices of regulation and control. Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, and accelerating through it, we identified a shift in progress whereby digital images took an increasingly central role in constructing, maintaining and transforming formal and informal processes of adjudicating what counts as true. What kind of images are considered valid, are allowed and accepted as-if true? How do they convince, and get authorized, and become usable?

The event will be accessible in 3 languages (English, Spanish, French)
Abstracts that match the conference themes are welcome, in addition abstracts may also address other topics relating to visual methods, theories, and the visual analysis of society, culture and social relationships, beyond the general conference theme.

We also welcome film, art-research creation, poster presentations in addition to talks or panels. We've extended the submission possibilities until *February 9th *to make sure it works out for all. *Visual Accountability: "Show don't Tell"* June 26-29 here: https://visualsociology.org/?page_id=8614 <https://visualsociology.org/?page_id=8614>