Archive for July 2022

[Commlist] warning scam attempt // housekeeping message

Tue Jul 12 12:23:20 GMT 2022

Dear colleagues,

Subscribers to the commlist have been contacted by a person impersonating me.

Those who were contacted first received a short message, asking to get in touch with "me" (aka the scammer).

The "To:" field of the scam email contains my authentic email address (@fsv). It is incredibly easy to change the "To:" field of emails. Rest assured, my email address/account has not been hacked, and you can still reach me at (nico.carpentier /at/ fsv.cuni.cz) and (nico.carpentier /at/ commlist.org).

Currently, I also have no reason to believe that the commlist database has been hacked. There seems to be a random selection of communication and media scholars contacted. Nevertheless, we are checking whether there was any hacking attempt of the commlist database.

When you would reply to the short message, you would see another email address appear ("(nico.carpentier /at/ unimelb.in.net)"). This is not an email address of me, instead, it would bring you in contact with the scammer. If you actually send that reply, the scammer will contact you, and ask for a money transfer.

Please be warned. These emails are fake. The commlist is a free service, and I will not ask you for money.

I have already contacted the providers related to the scam (including those managing "unimelb.in.net"), but this usually has little effect.

Kind regards,
Nico

Ps: When pressing reply to an email, it is actually wise to always check whether the reply takes you to the same/correct email address.

Nico Carpentier
Web: http://nicocarpentier.net/
Mirror of Conflict
An Arts-Based Research Exhibition at the H4C (Nicosia, Cyprus)
https://vimeo.com/701733198
https://vimeo.com/704798647
----------------------------
New Open Access Article:
"How is he entitled to say this?"
Constructing the identities of experts, ordinary people, and presenters in Swedish television series on climate change
with Kirill Filimonov
https://sciendo.com/article/10.2478/nor-2022-0007
----------------------------
MA program on Media and Area Studies
http://marsmaster.cz/
https://vimeo.com/383173852
Charles University
Institute of Communication Studies and Journalism
Smetanovo nábřeží 6, 110 01 Praha 1, Czech Republic
----------------------------
International Association for Media and Communication Research
http://iamcr.org/
SQRIDGE ngo
An intersection of academia and arts
http://www.sqridge.org/
The Commlist
E-mail (CharlesU): (nico.carpentier /at/ fsv.cuni.cz)
Room (CharlesU): Hollar building Room 118
Phone (CharlesU): +420 222 112 231
Web: http://nicocarpentier.net/