[Commlist] post-doc post in Data and Society @ Bangor University

Fri Nov 27 22:25:45 GMT 2020

We have a post-doc position in Data and Society at Bangor University.

  * 2 months, 0.8 FTE, starting 1^st Feb
  * Application deadline: 3^rd Jan  (online interviews approx. 1-2 weeks
    later)
  * Funded by Innovate UK
  * Working with Prof. Andrew McStay

<https://research.bangor.ac.uk/portal/en/researchers/andrew-mcstay(a322014e-4a48-4a1f-bd82-bb3a13304a62).html>
    and Prof. Vian Bakir

<https://research.bangor.ac.uk/portal/en/researchers/vian-bakir(4b9862c4-bcfc-40ce-8caf-e39c637d3bb1).html>
  * You’ll run the online focus group strand of our study into /Taking
    Back Control of Our Personal Data: An Ethical Impact Assessment of
    Personal Data Storage Apps/.

https://jobs.bangor.ac.uk/details.php.en?id=QLYFK026203F3VBQB7V68LOTX&nPostingID=5205&nPostingTargetID=5534&mask=stdext&lg=UK <https://jobs.bangor.ac.uk/details.php.en?id=QLYFK026203F3VBQB7V68LOTX&nPostingID=5205&nPostingTargetID=5534&mask=stdext&lg=UK>

 Research Officer
Job Number
BU02297
School/Department
School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
Grade
7
Salary Information
£33,797 - £40,322 p.a. PRO RATA on Grade 7
Contract Duration
Until 05.04.21
Responsible to
Project PI
Closing Date
03-01-2021

Applications are invited for the above temporary part time 0.80 FTE post working in the School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics & Media. Duties will include organising, conducting and analysing online focus groups and collecting data for a project funded by Innovate UK and working with the project partner, Cufflink, a north Wales based company.

Candidates should be educated to PhD standard (or near completion) or equivalent in a relevant subject area and have a background in data and society.

The successful candidate will be expected to commence 1st February 2021 or a soon as possible thereafter and the post is available until 05/04/2021.

Committed To Equal Opportunities
The Project

The project, Taking Back Control of Our Personal Data: An Ethical Impact Assessment of Personal Data Storage Apps, is funded by Innovate UK. The overall project, led by Prof. Andrew McStay (Bangor University), involves working with our project partner, Cufflink (a N. Wales-based company), who is developing a citizen-level personal data storage service that seeks to empower users to manage and control their own personal information when linking this to other individuals and organisations (more details at https://www.bangor.ac.uk/news/bangor-university-to-work-with-cufflink-to-help-people-take-back-control-of-their-data ). We are seeking someone to lead the focus group stage of our project, which investigates what ordinary citizens think of such data storage services including their design features and embedded ethical norms, as well as citizens’ wider concerns over control over their data.
Purpose of the Job

The post will involve working with Professor Andrew McStay and Professor Vian Bakir and the project partner (Cufflink) in the area of personal data storage. The project involves collecting and analysing data through focus groups. The post holder will be responsible for planning, organising, conducting and analysing focus groups, writing up the analysis in the form of reports, and liaising with the project partner.
Main Duties and Responsibilities

• Gathering and analysis of data. This will include organising online focus groups (in liaison with a recruitment company) and conducting online focus groups. • Cleaning data from focus groups, and conducting thematic analysis using a qualitative data analysis package. • Preparing a written report of the focus group findings and preparing a range of empirical data for archiving in UK Data Service. • Acquiring a guided understanding of the business drivers and policy context around personal information management systems. • Administration of the research project. This might include: participating in project meetings, coordinating the project to meet aims and objectives, and liaising with stakeholders.

Other related project duties as required, within the timeframe.
Other Duties and Responsibilities

• The post holder will be expected to comply with the University’s equality policies and statements, Dignity at Work and Study Policy and the University’s Welsh Language Scheme. • The post holder has a general and legal duty of care in relation to health, safety and wellbeing and must take all reasonable steps to ensure a safe and healthy working environment for themselves and for other members of staff, students and visitors affected by their actions or inactions. The post holder is also required to comply with all applicable health and safety policies, procedures and risk assessments. • The post holder must comply with relevant legal and financial policies and procedures and be aware of their responsibilities in terms of the legal requirements of their posts.
Person Specification

Qualifications/Training

Essential
• PhD standard (or near completion) or equivalent in a relevant subject area.

Experience/Knowledge

Essential
• Understanding of, and experience in, organising and conducting online focus groups. • Understanding of, and experience in, conducting, qualitative social science methods. • Experience of conducting research under a social science research ethics framework. • Effective communication skills, both written and verbal (face-to-face and online).

Desirable
• Understanding of data ethics and privacy issues.
• Understanding of how to use qualitative data analysis package such as NVivo.
• Experience in preparing, analysing and archiving qualitative data.

Skills/Abilities

Essential
• Demonstrate good verbal and written skills.
• Demonstrate good analytical skills, ability to analyse data and present results appropriately.
• Demonstrate the ability to prioritise work load and work to deadlines.

Desirable
• Demonstrate proven project management skills.
• Demonstrate good computer skills.
• Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team.
• Demonstrate interpersonal skills.
General

The University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. We believe this can be achieved through attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse range of staff from many different backgrounds. We strive to develop a workforce from all sections of the community regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, trans identity, relationship status, religion or belief, caring responsibilities, or age. We promote and facilitate the use of the Welsh language through our progressive Welsh Language Policy. We comply with the Welsh Language Standards and are committed to equality of opportunity. You are welcome to apply for any job in English or Welsh and all applications submitted will be treated equally.

We are a member of Advance HE's Athena SWAN Gender Equality charter and hold a Bronze award in recognition of our commitment to and progress towards gender equality within the University's policies, practices, and culture. We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer.

All members of staff have a duty to ensure their actions are in line with the overall environmental aims of the University and minimise their environmental impact.

All offers are made subject to proof of eligibility to work in the UK and receipt of satisfactory references.

All candidates must meet the requirements of UK ‘right to work’ requirements *** If you require Home Office permission to work in the UK, or need to switch your visa status in order to take this job, please note that following the introduction by the Government of immigration limits on skilled workers we recommend you use the following link to information about the routes into employment and to check eligibility requirements: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/

Please note that, in the event of applications being received from candidates on the University's Redeployment Register with a reasonable skills match to the post specification, these applicants will be given prior consideration.