[Commlist] CFP: Perfect Beat Special ‘Riffs’ Issue: COVID-19, Music and the Asia-Pacific

Fri Nov 20 12:16:28 GMT 2020

CALL FOR PAPERS:

/Perfect Beat/ Special ‘Riffs’ Issue: COVID-19, Music and the Asia-Pacific

Perfect Beat journal invites contributions to a special edition of short-form ‘Riff’ articles, typically 2000 words, to document the state of music research in the Asia-Pacific region during the COVID-19 pandemic. A Riff is a blind peer-reviewed article that is flexible in format, allowing for a range of novel and creative approaches to scholarly writing, as well as prompt responses to pertinent issues.

Previous Riffs in Perfect Beat have been interviews with musicians or industry figures, critical reflections of an author’s experiences, comparative reviews of musical works, and co/multi-authored exchanges. Our special issue expands this criteria to include other creative approaches, such as photographic essays, personal narratives, position statements, industry summaries, and/or post-pandemic solutions. Proposals for other creative scholarly approaches are welcomed.

To fit the scope of the journal, our geographical area of interest is the Asia-Pacific.

Topics for this special issue may include:

  *

    Virtual Musical Connections:

        How does media technology contribute to a continuation of
        pre-pandemic musical life?

        Reviews of streamed online ‘iso concerts’ and other music
        related content

        TikTok, Twitch, Fortnite… music and the platforms of the pandemic

        How artists use social media to connect with fans during the
        pandemic

  *

    Live Music:

        Review of socially-distanced concerts and similar music events

        Government policies surrounding post-lockdown live music venues

        The response from funding bodies to reinvigorate or support
        music and the arts

        Impact on scenes at a local or global level

  *

    An Academic in a Pandemic:

        Teaching music courses in the online environment; sharing novel
        approaches, challenges and successes

        Creative pivots for your music research

        Impact on research cultures in your areas – motivations,
        logistics, funding

        Work/life balance, especially for parents

  *

    A Postgrad in a Pandemic:

        How the pandemic has impacted postgraduate music students

        Music Postgrad pivoting for writing/fieldwork/research

        How are music postgrads, especially international students,
        supporting each other during this time?

  *

    Mental Health

        Support initiatives from the music industry

        Health and wellbeing of music students and colleagues

  *

    First Person Impact

        Interviews with musicians and other industry practitioners about
        COVID-19 restrictions

        Songs/music about and inspired by COVID-19

        The “iso album” phenomenon

        Case studies on organised responses; ‘I Lost My Gig’ / ‘Save Our
        Venues’ campaigns

        Grass roots initiatives, community responses

  *

    Science denial and conspiracy theories surrounding COVID-19 and music

  *

    Other topics related to music and COVID-19 in the Asia-Pacific region

Word Limits:

We ask for 2000 words for final articles, including references. Please contact the editors if you are proposing a longer word length.

Blind Peer Review

All Riffs will be blind peer reviewed.

Timeline

  *

    200 word abstract proposal due; email to (o.wilson /at/ massey.ac.nz)
    <mailto:(o.wilson /at/ massey.ac.nz)> by Monday 7th December 5pm AEST

  *

    Authors advised of outcome: Wednesday 9th December

  *

    Full articles due: Friday 12th February 2021

  *

    Review process: February-April 2021

  *

    Publication: May 2021

For information about Perfect Beat journal, please visit our new website: https://journal.equinoxpub.com/PB/about <https://journal.equinoxpub.com/PB/about> or contact the editors if you have further questions.

(no APCs charged)

Co-editors

Shelley Brunt (shelley.brunt /at/ rmit.edu) <mailto:(shelley.brunt /at/ rmit.edu)>

Oli Wilson (o.wilson /at/ massey.ac.nz) <mailto:(o.wilson /at/ massey.ac.nz)>