[Commlist] Call for abstracts: Mobile technologies and public space in the wake of COVID-19 in China

Mon Oct 19 12:50:10 GMT 2020

You are warmly invited to submit a paper for Mobile Studies Congress 2020 Conference to be held in Nottingham University Ningbo China on November 13-15, 2020 (the conference will be held in a blended format).

The outbreak of COVID-19 has changed our living and working. In all these changes, mobile technologies have been playing an increasingly important role. Mobile technologies have become more popular and powerful than any other media, bringing opportunities and challenges and to our society. As the first of its kind in the world, Mobile Studies Congress (MSC) aims to provide researchers and practitioners of mobile media and communication with a venue to exchange their observations, insights, findings and predictions.

The general theme of the inaugural congress is "Go Mobile, Stay Healthy". To examine the impact of the pandemic on mobile media and communication and the role of mobile in the fight against the pandemic, we invite you to contribute to the theme of mobile technologies and public space. As COVID-19 continues to infect the world, digital technologies have been adopted largely in the combat against the virus and protect human beings. In China, the government relies on health code, a mobile app developed by two private companies Alibaba and Tencent for identifying the individual who has been infected with or exposed to COVID-19. The health code that gathers people's data, such as traveling, has been an essential measure for people’s freedom of movement in public space in China. In the session of mobile technologies and public space, we try to bring a critical engagement with the biopolitical stakes of technologies for combatting the pandemic. We try to make sense of how the techniques of surveillance capitalism (Zuboff, 2019) and algorithmic governmentality suffice the public interests in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

By bringing academic experts and practitioners together, we hope to bring public awareness on the ownership of the data of health code and call for a change of its design to facilitate a networked public sphere to avoid a digital leviathan. Please find the conference website here: https://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/humanities-and-social-sciences/international-communications/mobile-studies-congress-2020.aspx We invite presentations that expand our theoretical and empirical understanding of mobile technologies and public space.

Abstracts of contributions to the conference are expected by October 22, 2020.

Please send your paper title and abstract (200-300 words) to Dr. Lei Hao ( (lei.hao /at/ nottingham.edu.cn) )