[Previous message][Next message][Back to index]
[Commlist] Job vacancy for Head, Department of Media and Communication, Xi’an Jiaotong – Liverpool University, Suzhou, China
Thu Oct 15 09:57:53 GMT 2020
Head, Department of Media and Communication
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – School of Humanities and Social
School: School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department: Media and Communication (School of Humanities and Social
Academic Discipline: Media and Communication Studies
Position Title: Head, Department of Media and Communication
Location: Suzhou Campus
Job Requisition ID: 1778
Position Open Day：14 October 2020
Advertisement Closing Date: 18 November 2020
Contract Type: Full-Time
University and Department Overview:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative
institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer
both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education)
accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the
first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now
has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of
instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has
recently committed significant investment into research development and
the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park
(SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018
Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby
airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via
high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth
zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500
top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest
concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP
has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area
encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic
old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M.
Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP
offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards.
The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night,
and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local
restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to
four international schools.
XJTLU’s Department of Media and Communication is home to faculty from
many countries around the world. The Department delivers a BA Media and
Communication Studies and an MSc Media and Communication. Faculty also
supervise PhD students. The research strengths of the Department include
Journalism, Film Studies, Digital Media, and Cultural Studies.
Roles & Responsibilities:
* Provide leadership at departmental and school levels in teaching,
research and service.
* Develop and implement a strategic vision for the department, in
alignment with the university’s strategic plan.
* Allocate, manage and deploy resources to support the operations of
* Promote a culture of academic excellence and collegiality in the
department, as well as cross-disciplinary collaborations.
* Contribute to the further development of the Department’s programmes.
* Coordinate and deliver modules in the Department’s programmes.
* Maintain a publication record appropriate for the discipline and
* Apply to external research funds.
* The ability to adapt to institutional changes, identify desirable
outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
* The ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively within the
Department, School, University, and international networks.
* Relevant PhD with ideally 10 years of university experience.
* Successful record of higher education administrative experience,
including strategic planning and budget management.
* Substantial experience with programme development and curriculum
* PhD supervision experience.
* Appropriate publication record for discipline.
* Successful record of external grant applications.
* Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (e.g. HEA
Fellow status) or equivalent.
* Demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence.
* Significant experience in international higher education.
* Cross-cultural sensitivity.
* Familiarity with China and Chinese higher education.
* Familiarity with the British system of higher education
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation,
travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation
allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for
multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax
Citizenship and Visa Regulations:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by
Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the
provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for
legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas.
Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work
visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application Online
<https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu> then find the
Requisition ID 1778. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file
that includes 3 parts in the order of:
* A cover letter
* A current CV, including country of citizenship, and highest degree
* Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Recruiting Team at
(Xinyun.Yang /at/ xjtlu.edu.cn) <mailto:(Xinyun.Yang /at/ xjtlu.edu.cn)>. Please quote
the position and job ID in your enquiry.
This mailing list is a free service offered by Nico Carpentier. Please use it responsibly and wisely.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit http://commlist.org/
Before sending a posting request, please always read the guidelines at http://commlist.org/
To contact the mailing list manager:
Email: (nico.carpentier /at/ vub.ac.be)
[Previous message][Next message][Back to index]