[Commlist] Re-MEDIAting the Wild - The 16th Conference on Communication and Environment

Sun Oct 11 21:58:39 GMT 2020

On behalf of IECA's Conference Committee, Mark S. Meisner is really pleased to announce the details of the next Conference on Communication and Environment (COCE).

*Re-MEDIAting the Wild*
*The 16th Conference on Communication and Environment “as you’ve never seen it before”*
*Online everywhere June 21-24, 2021,*

This will be our first entirely online conference and will mark IECA's 10th anniversary.

The call for submissions, theme, and some other details are now available on the conference website:
http://theieca.org/coce2021

+++

The 2021 Conference on Communication and Environment Online
Re-MEDIAting the Wild

The 16th Conference on Communication and Environment (COCE) “as you’ve never seen it before”
Online everywhere June 21-24, 2021,

The International Environmental Communication Association (IECA) will hold the 16th Conference on Communication and Environment (COCE) online everywhere in June 2021. This conference will mark IECA's 10th anniversary. As always, we will bring together artists, practitioners, scholars, students and engaged citizens from around the world to discuss the state of communication related to environmental affairs. We consider Indigenous perspectives to be central to this topic and therefore especially encourage the participation of Indigenous People.

The title and theme of the conference is Re-MEDIAting the Wild. The intent of this theme is to bring attention to research and practical experience on how best to communicate for the sake of Wildlife and Wild places. At the same time, we expect the conference to address the ways in which communication and culture influence how humans value the Wild and perceive their relationships with the rest of Nature.

In a literal sense Re-MEDIAting the Wild suggests healing Wild places, the species that live there, and humanity's relationship to the rest of Nature. In other words, rewilding and restoring resilience and integrity to the living Earth. For the purposes of this conference it refers to how communication using technology–everything from handwriting to television to social media–affects people's understanding of Wild Nature and our relationships with it. It also refers to ways of reconciling conflicts related to Wildlife and Wild places. And it means connecting or linking ourselves to the Wild in a variety of ways, including as advocates for species and places that are unable to speak directly to our institutions and decision-makers. In all cases, the Re- is important; we must communicate better than we have.

Of course, there is irony in holding a conference on communication for and about Wildlife and Wild places online. However, the online-only format of this meeting is a social symptom of COVID-19, so we can use that fact to help us further reflect on our conventional ways of doing things, and of communicating, not to mention our connections to the natural world. We hope you will join us for this adventure and experience COCE “as you’ve never seen it before.”

Conference Committee: Barb Willard (Chair), Anke Wonneberger (Programme Co-Chair), Bruno Takahashi (Programme Co-Chair), Mark Meisner, Hanna Morris, Jen Rae, Samathana Senda-Cook, and Franzisca Weder.
Important Dates

Dates are subject to change.

    10 October 2020 – Theme announced and call for submissions distributed
    1 December 2020 – Online conference submission system opens
    1 February 2021 – Deadline for all submissions
    8 February 2021 – Registration opens
    12 April 2021 – Acceptance notifications
    12 April 2021 – Draft programme available
    12 April  to 17 May 2021 – Programme revisions and corrections
    26 April 2021 – Presenters must be members of IECA
    17 May 2021 – Programme mostly finalized
    17 May 2021 – Presenters must be registered
    24 May 2021 – Early-bird registration closes
24 May 2021 – Presentations, papers, posters and artwork must be uploaded to the conference platform 24 May to 21 June – Delegates can view pre-recorded presentations and other material
    21 June 2021 – Pre-conference events (optional)
    21 June 2021 – Conference begins online everywhere
    24 June 2021 – Conference ends

Contact Information

Web: https://theieca.org/coce2021
Twitter: @TheIECA  #coce2021