[Commlist] Trans TV Dossier published in CST 15.3

Fri Oct 02 06:49:27 GMT 2020

It is with great pleasure that Michael Goddard and Christopher Hogg can announce that the second part of our third and final Trans TV special dossier has just been published in /Critical Studies in Television 15.3. /Emerging from the international Trans TV conference in 2017, this series of publications have sought to address contemporary transformations of television in the era of streaming, internet-distributed TV, However, rather than a strictly industrial, institutional or technological approach, we attempted to think these transformations as inseparable from a rise in queer, diverse and trans representations in televisual aesthetics and to try to discern the complex relations between the two.

Intended as an ongoing dialogue with contemporary television over the last few years, we are happy to have curated such wonderful work by gifted emergent and established TV scholars, approaching these issues from a rich diversity of perspectives.

The most recent issue is available here and includes the following contents: https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/csta/current <https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/csta/current>

‘Introduction: Trans TV dossier, III: Trans TV re-evaluated, part 2’, Edited and introduced by Michael Goddard, Christopher Hogg (open access)

‘Researching Binge-Watching’, Mareike Jenner

‘Crossing the Borders of Queer TV: Depictions of migration and (im)mobility in contemporary LGBTQ television’, Anamarija Horvat

A Class Act: An interview with Julie Hesmondhalgh on casting, representation and inclusion in British television drama’, Christopher Hogg and Julie Hesmondhalgh

The previous part of this special issue is available in the previous issue of the journal here and includes:

‘Trans TV dossier, III: Trans TV re-evaluated, part 1’, Michael N Goddard, Christopher Hogg

‘The appisation of television: TV apps, discoverability and the software, device and platform ecologies of the internet era’, Catherine Johnson

‘ “Queering” TV, one character at a time: How audiences respond to gender-diverse TV series on social media platforms’, Stéfany Boisvert

Previous dossiers are available here: https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/csta/14/4 <https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/csta/14/4>, and here: https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/csta/13/4 <https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/csta/13/4> and include contributions in the for of both articles and short interventions from Amanda Lotz, Matt Hills, Tanya Horeck, Tina Kendall, Mareike Jenner, Gry Rustad, Michael L. Wayne, Sofia Rios, Alexa Scarlat, Francesca Sobande, Jaap Kooijman, Craig Haslop, Joke Hermes and Michael Kardolus.

We would like to warmly than and congratulate all our authors, as well as the CST team, especially Cathrin Bengesser and Janet McCabe for their invaluable work on all the dossiers. And we would especially like to thank Janet form believing in this project and suggesting the form it might take in the first place.