[Commlist] New Book: Taste and the TV Chef: How Storytelling Can Save the Planet

Wed Sep 30 10:58:28 GMT 2020

Intellect is pleased to announce that /*Taste and the TV Chef: How Storytelling Can Save the Planet <https://www.intellectbooks.com/taste-and-the-tv-chef>*/, by Gilly Smith, is now available in ebook and paperback.

/Taste and the TV Chef/ examines the evolution of food-centric TV, exploring how it changed Britain’s relationship with food and created a global appetite for culinary content. While cooking shows are far from new, they have exploded in popularity in recent years and changed consumption patterns at a time when what we eat is increasingly understood to have enormous impact on climate change. What was once merely a genre is now a full-blown phenomenon: never before has food been so photographed, fawned over, fetishized and celebrated for its potential to improve our health and that of the planet. Celebrity chefs and so-called ‘foodies’ have risen to new levels of fame, and the cultural capital of cooking has never been so valuable.

Including rare interviews with the producers who created some of the most influential stories television ever told, food journalist Gilly Smith offers fresh insights into the creation of contemporary British food culture, examining the influence of chefs like Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson and Gordon Ramsay and the role of TV storytelling in transforming how and what we consume.

A groundbreaking contribution to food and media studies, /Taste and the TV Chef/ investigates how food and lifestyle TV changed the way an entire country ate, and then fed it to the rest of the world.

*_Table of Contents_*

*Introduction*

*Part One
*• Birth of the Cool
• The Manufacture of Delight
• The Making of Britishness
• The Game-changers

*Part Two
*• Creating a National Conversation
• Creating Capital
• Selling Britain to the World
• Dude Food and Fairy Cakes
• Storytelling and Race
• Storytelling and Class
• The Making of Jamie
• Barthes on Jamie: Myth and the TV Revolutionary
• The Odyssey Narrative
• The Making of Dreams
• Sugar Smart

*Part Three
*• Intangible Memories
• Sharing the Memories
• The Utopia of Food TV
• A Hungarian Food Revolution
• How to Build a Food Culture

*Part Four
*• Can Storytelling Save the World?
• Are We There Yet?

Please visit our website for more information: