[Commlist] CFP: How has your research on media and communication changed in the Covid-19 era?

Mon Sep 07 12:34:46 GMT 2020

CFP: How has your research on media and communication changed in the Covid-19 era?

We have extended the deadline for applications for free online conference Media (&) Life After/During Covid-19 Pandemic 2020 by 27.09.20

We look forward to your presentations on how the implementation of your media and communication research projects during the pandemic has changed; what projects you have started in connection with the epidemic; and what other research challenges you have had to face due to this unusual situation. Do not hesitate to share your insights and reflections. We look forward to hearing from you!

Call for presentations:

Academia Europaea Wroclaw Knowledge Hub

Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, Institute of Social Communication and Media Science

University of Wroclaw, Institute of International Studies

invite for submissions to the

Session 2: Presentation of media and communication research projects

during the

Conference Media (&) Life After/During Covid-19 Pandemic

which will be held online

on 26 October 2020.

In view of the situation in which researchers found themselves almost all over the world - cancellation of many academic events and, at the same time, the new challenges posed by the academy and the current epidemic - we decided to meet the current needs and invite media and communication researchers to participate in the discussion on the present and future of communication and media studies in the face of the pandemic.

We would like to ask important questions and start a discussion on topics that are dynamically emerging. Among them there are questions such as: What are the biggest challenges in research in the field of media and communication studies posed by the current pandemic? What will it probably bring? What has already changed in our studies, projects and research practice? Which important topics are emerging in media and communication studies in relation to the pandemic and its consequences? What kind of ethical challenges and dilemmas will we face? In media and communication studies, as in science: can we expect a change in the distribution model of research results, e.g. growing role of the publications outside the peer review model and a long-term publishing process? Are application projects - constructed ad hoc for the so-called social good - becoming more important now than ever? What are the other changes that have already taken place and/or should take place, and how should we possibly direct them?

The conference will consist of two parts: Session 1: Experts debate and Session 2: Presentation of media and communication research projects.

Session 1: Experts debate

The first part will be devoted to speeches and discussions of experts on the following topics:

·      Kirsten Drotner, University of Southern Denmark, Welfarist media studies: why, why now?

·      Göran Bolin, Södertörn University, Datafication and educational value in a post-Covid19 world

·      Veronika Kalmus, University of Tartu, "Jobs that really matter": Some reflections on changes in science

·      Nevena Dakovic, University of the Arts in Belgrade, Mediating and Communicating Crisis: C19 Pandemic or infodemic?

·      Fausto Colombo, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Infodemic, pandemic, and Covid-19: an ecological approach

·      Leopoldina Fortunati, University of Udine, How a research project had to be reformulated because of COVID19. A narrative on the design and methodological changes intervened in a research project during the emergency

·      Heidi Vandebosch, University of Antwerp, Studying people's media use during COVID-19 and lockdown times: Opportunities and challenges

·      Helena Bilandzic, Universität Augsburg, The role of media in the pandemic: How citizens seek and avoid, trust and mistrust media information in a health crisis

Session 2: Presentation of media and communication research projects

The second part of the conference will be devoted to the presentation of specific research projects in the field of communication and media studies, which concern a pandemic or which are implemented in spite of an ongoing pandemic, but which address the challenge of adapting to changing conditions. We would also like to look at theoretical, methodological, technical and ethical challenges faced by media and communication researchers in their current research projects as well as at results of the research, including the preliminary ones, which have been managed to develop during this difficult time.

If you are interested in participation in Session 2, please send your e-mail application containing the following data together with the necessary approvals to Katarzyna Majkowska, Academia Europaea Wroclaw Knowledge Hub: (majkowska /at/ acadeuro.wroclaw.pl) <mailto:(majkowska /at/ acadeuro.wroclaw.pl)> by 27.09.20.

There is no conference fee.

Any substantive questions about the conference can be answered by Katarzyna Kopecka-Piech, Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin via email: (katarzyna.kopecka.piech /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(katarzyna.kopecka.piech /at/ gmail.com)>.

Submission:

The application for participation in Session 2: Presentation of media and communication research projects should include:

1. Information about the main submitter:

- name and surname
- affiliation
- email address
- telephone number

2. Information about project presentation:
- names and surnames of all project presenters with their affiliations
- title of presentation
- brief abstract of the presentation (up to 200 words)
- title of the conducted project to be presented
- basic information about the conducted project: research problem, research objective, research methods (up to 200 words)

3. The statement:

I agree to the processing of personal data provided in this application according to “Detailed Information Concerning the Processing of Your Personal Data by the Municipality of Wrocław” available here: https://www.umcs.pl/pl/media-life-after-during-covid-19-pandemic,19942.htm <https://www.umcs.pl/pl/media-life-after-during-covid-19-pandemic,19942.htm>

Please note: In case of multi-author presentation, it is necessary to send a statement of consent by all presenters individually by them, in separate emails by 27.09.20.