[Commlist] Journeys Across Media Conference 2020

Thu Sep 03 15:37:50 GMT 2020

*Journeys Across Media 2020: Sharing Stories*

*A Virtual Conference from University of Reading, Wednesday 16th September - Tickets available now!*

/“Now more than ever, I think people realize the importance of public art. It has this capacity to bring joy, to bring wonder, to bring a glimpse of hope when you’re outside during this time that is so challenging and difficult.”/ – Artist Silvia Lopez Chavez speaking to News @ Northwestern.

The world may have changed but the human need to share stories has not, in fact it has become more important than ever and JAM 2020 seeks to reflect this in its first ever virtual conference. The act of storytelling involves a process of choice making – we choose the details to include and exclude, we shape narratives depending on who we share our stories with and how. Originally a live event, this conference is interested in exploring methods and approaches to sharing stories in theatre, performance, film, television, and literary practice.

It promises to be an interesting day, packed with varied research. There will be theatre workshops, installations, film essays, posters and discussions on:

  * Evolution of the modern sitcom
  * Visual Representations of Young Saudi Women in Britain
  * Immersive Storytelling and Postphenomenological Performance
  * Objects in Abbas Kiarostami’s filmmaking
  * Trauma in Eimear McBride's "A Girl is a Half formed Thing"
  * Home in the cinema
  * Food storytelling
  * Spatial exclusion of Black women in British theatre
  * Male gaze and Kuwaiti cinema
  * Lived experiences of Woodstock
  * Set design in Renata Pinheiro's "Love, Plastic and Noise"
  * Playable Performance and Interpersonal Storytelling

Admission is free but you will need to book a place by following the link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jam-conference-2020-revised-date-tickets-119220073449?ref=estw <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jam-conference-2020-revised-date-tickets-119220073449?ref=estw>

If you have any other questions please email us at: (jamconference2020 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(jamconference2020 /at/ gmail.com)>.