[Commlist] Black Comics Matter: Call for Commentary, Essays, and Reviews for Confessions of an Aca-Fan

Tue Aug 25 06:53:16 GMT 2020

*Call for Commentary, Essays, and Reviews: Black Comics Matter*

Henry Jenkins and William Proctor are planning to run on series on/Confessions of an Aca-Fan/focusing on creators-of-colour and/ or related comics to begin publication in the fall of 2020. We thought this would be an ideal time to explore and spotlight the range of comics, comic strips, and graphic novels created by artists and writers-of-color from as many perspectives as possible. To this, we ask potential contributors to consider writing commentaries, think pieces, essays, or reviews of comics and graphic novels in this area. There is no maximum word count, but we recommend that the minimum be around 1000 words or so. As far as upper limit is concerned, longer posts may be split into multiple installments.

Please email Billy Proctor (atbproctor /at/ bournemouth.ac.uk) <mailto:(bproctor /at/ bournemouth.ac.uk)>with proposals.

The following is a list of comics and graphic novels that scholars may consider writing about. You may of course have your own suggestions, so this should be in no way seen as exhaustive.

  * /Bitter Root/(David F. Walker, et al)
  * /Destroyer/(Victor Lavalle, et al)
  * /Black/(Osajyefo, et al)
  * /Excellence/(Brandon Thomas, et al)
  * /March/(John Lewis, et al)
  * /Superman Smashes the Klan/(Gene Luen Yang, et al)
  * Race in YA/ Children’s graphic novels
  * Black superheroes
  * Milestone Comics
  * /The Silence of Our Friends/(Nate Powell, et al)
  * /BTTM FDRS/(Ben Passmore, et al)
  * /Bayou/(Jeremy Love)
  * /Black Panther/(Ta Nehisi Coates, Don McGregor etc.)
  * /The Harlem Hellfighters/(Max Brooks, et al)
  * Jungle Comics
  * /Chew///Farmhand/(Rob Guillory)
  * /Infidel/(Pornsak Pichetshote)
  * Whiteness in comics