[Commlist] Call for papers: Special Issue of M/C Journal on exclusion

Sat Feb 08 09:41:01 GMT 2020

    'exclusion'

Exclusion is the antithesis of integration. In everyday life interactions, with and without media, mechanisms of exclusion and inclusion emerge simultaneously, contradicting each other and often politically motivated. Social media and social media groups have been praised as realms of political activism, as sheltered places for minority groups, or as platforms to give hitherto unheard voices a forum (e.g. #metoo). At the same time social media came to the fore as realms of exclusion and othering: we are witnessing verbal abuse, threats, and death threats on social media platforms against migrants, politicians, LGBTIQ persons, women, or activists. We are familiar with professional media output employing excluding terminologies and depictions of the outsider, thus evoking and strengthening ideas of the "other" (e.g. in terms of gender, ethnicity, political opinion, space, and place). We watch on screens in factual and fictional formats the depicted "other" - either as absent or as stereotyped.

This issue of/M/C Journal/seeks to contribute to a deeper understanding of the mechanisms of societal exclusion in and through media with a special focus on - but not restricted to - social media. Following the discussions of the Mediated Communication, Public Opinion, and Society Section at IAMCR Madrid 2019, we invite contributions on the theme of "exclusion" from a wide spectrum of social, cultural, institutional, and affective domains.

Areas of investigation may include, but are not limited to:

·exclusion in/through journalism

·exclusion in/through social media

·exclusion in/through fictional media

·exclusion of communication

·forms of exclusion

·functions and dysfunctions of exclusion

·exclusion, inclusion, and integration

·exclusion and racism

·exclusion and sexism

·exclusion and populism

·migration and exclusion

·exclusion and social tensions

Prospective contributors should email an abstract of 100-250 words and a brief biography to the issue editors. Abstracts should include the article title and should describe your research question, approach, and argument. Biographies should be about three sentences (maximum 75 words) and should include your institutional affiliation and research interests. Articles should be 3000 words (plus bibliography). All articles will be double-blind refereed and must adhere to MLA style (6th edition).

      Details

·Article deadline: 2 Oct. 2020

·Release date: 2 Dec. 2020

·Editors: Susanne Eichner, Corinna Lüthje

Please submit articles through this Website: http://journal.media-culture.org.au/index.php/mcjournal/information/authors#exclusion

Send any enquiries (toexclusion /at/ journal.media-culture.org.au) <mailto:(exclusion /at/ journal.media-culture.org.au)>