[Commlist] Call for Special Issue Proposals: Robots and Labor in Pop Culture

Sun Jan 05 17:00:35 GMT 2020

Call for Papers: Robots and Labor in Pop Culture

DEADLINE EXTENDED: Proposals now due January 24, 2020

Publish date: April, 2021

Guest editor: Liz W Faber, (Elizabeth.Faber /at/ mville.edu)

We are seeking submissions for the April 2021 special issue on robots and labor in pop culture.

Much of the conversation about robots and Artificial Intelligence for the past 100 years has focused on whether robots could/should replace human workers.  With this in mind, we are interested in a broad examination of how pop culture has imagined robots in the workforce, from classics like the Hanna-Barbera cartoon /The Jetsons/ to more recent works such as C. Robert Cargill’s 2017 novel /Sea of Rust/. Considerations of all genres, media, and critical lenses are welcome, and we are particularly interested in stretching the boundaries of how labor is defined.

The /Popular Culture Studies Journal /is an open-access academic, peer-reviewed, refereed journal for scholars, academics, and students from the many disciplines that study popular culture, as well as the fans and general public with an interest in popular culture texts, practices, and industries. The journal serves the MPCA/ACA membership, as well as scholars globally who recognize and support its mission based on expanding the way we view popular culture as a fundamental component within the contemporary world.

To be considered for this special issue, please send a proposal of no more than 250-300 words to the guest editor, Liz W Faber, at (Elizabeth.Faber /at/ mville.edu) <mailto:(Elizabeth.Faber /at/ mville.edu)>. Proposals must be received by Friday, January 24, 2020.  Full essays will be due in August, 2020, and final drafts will be due December, 2020.

Questions and topic inquiries for this special issue can be directed to the guest editor, Liz W Faber ((Elizabeth.Faber /at/ mville.edu) <mailto:(Elizabeth.Faber /at/ mville.edu)>).