Archive for February 2020

[Commlist] JAM Conference / Journeys Across Media PG Conference

Wed Feb 12 14:40:55 GMT 2020

This is a reminder that The Film, Theatre and Television department at the University of Reading are preparing to host the annual Journeys Across Media PG Conference. The JAM application *deadline is 14th February *and we look forward to hearing from you!

We are eager to include a wide range of inter-disciplinary research from a variety of institutions and look forward to hearing from you!
Please see more about this year's theme and the call for papers below.

The JAM Organising Committee (Mag Mosteanu; Chloe Duane; Sarah Byrne; John Whitney)

Journeys Across Media 2020: Sharing Stories

University of Reading, 3rd April 2020

In the White Album, Joan Didion writes that “we tell ourselves stories in order to live [...] We look for the sermon in the suicide, for the social or moral lesson in the murder of five. We interpret what we see, select the most workable of the multiple choices” (1). The act of storytelling involves a process of choice-making – we choose the details to include and exclude, we shape narratives depending on who we share our stories with and how. This conference is interested in exploring methods and approaches to sharing stories in theatre, performance, film, television and literary practice. We are also interested in innovative ways of disseminating research stories. Through an interdisciplinary approach, we seek to investigate connections between different modes of storytelling through the varied forms of current postgraduate and ECR research.

 The conference seeks to draw together panels on topics included but not limited to:

  *

    Stories and identity

  *

    False/misleading narratives (propaganda, self-mythologising, “Fake
    news”)

  *

    Re-sharing (translation, provocation, distortion,
    representation)Interpersonal connections in story-making

  *

    Human connections in sharing

  *

    Stories of exclusion and exclusion from stories

  *

    Stories as commodities

  *

    Sharing research stories: documentary and documented practice

  *

    Sharing across borders, cultures and communities through reflective
    practice.

  *

    Methods of storytelling in theatre and film

  *

    Digital and DIY storytelling

As a conference, we are open to applications for the following:

  *

    20-minute papers

  *

    Shorter provocations of 5-10 minutes

  *

    Full panels of 3 x 20-minute papers

  *

    Participatory Workshops (up to 30 minutes in length)

  *

    Practice as Research disseminations (up to 30 minutes in length)

  *

    Video essays (Up to 20 minutes in length)

Please send proposals of 200 words to (jamconference2020 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(jamconference2020 /at/ gmail.com)> by 14th February 2020. We would welcome bios of up to 50 words along with your abstracts.

Journeys Across Media: Sharing Stories is organised by members of the postgraduate community at the University of Reading in the Department of Film, Theatre and Television.

The JAM Organising Committee (Mag Mosteanu; Chloe Duane; Sarah Byrne; John Whitney).

Citations

Didion, Joan. The White Album. London: 4thEstate, 2017