Archive for February 2020

[Commlist] Recording it Ourselves: A day event about DIY cultures and archives, information and heritage

Tue Feb 11 20:57:27 GMT 2020

Recording it Ourselves: A day event about DIY cultures and archives, information and heritage

19th June 2020, DIY Space for London

RIO is a day long knowledge sharing event about DIY cultures (we define DIY as grassroots and political cultures/practices - examples include grassroots spaces; music and zine making; blogging; podcasting; housing co-ops; activism etc) and archives, information and/or heritage. Examples include collections in libraries and museums (for example, the Riot Grrrl Collection by Fales Library) zine fair organisers working with museums and heritage organisations (North West Zine Fest and the People’s History Museum; Weirdo Zine Fest and the National Trust and Science Gallery London), and the setting up of physical and digital archives or libraries like the Manchester Digital Music Archive, Queer Zine Library, and Queer Zine Archive Project.

The event will be informal and we would like it to be different to academic conferences. You are very welcome to come along if you are involved in DIY cultures (maybe as a zine maker, organiser or musician), if you work or volunteer in an archive/library/museum of any type, or if you do research (in a university or in any other way). We would like the day to help people in each of these spaces to talk to each other, share/listen to experiences and information, and make connections that can support each other in our roles as organisers, creative people, researchers or workers in information roles.

We are looking for people who would like to take part in the day. To take part you could:

  *

    Give a short talk about a relevant topic (5-10 minutes)

  *

    Give a longer talk about a project or some research (20-30 minutes
    including questions)

  *

    Run a workshop with a small group (10-15 people)

  *

    Run a workshop with a large group (30-50 people)

  *

    Run a skill sharing session with a small group (10-15 people)

  *

    Coordinate a small discussion group (10-15 people)

  *

    Coordinate a larger discussion with 3-4 people on stage and an
    audience (like a panel discussion).

  *

    Do a performance

  *

    Screen a film

  *

    Contribute information or resources to a zine that will be
    distributed on the day

  *

    Send across leaflets or other physical stuff that can be given out
    to people on the day

  *

    Do something else that we haven’t listed as yet!

Suggestions for subjects or themes could include:

  *

    DIY and grassroots history projects

  *

    Zine libraries

  *

    Oral history projects

  *

    How politics of DIY cultures relate to archives, heritage and
    information work

  *

    Archives of DIY cultures

  *

    Queer/QTIPOC archives

  *

    Ethics and archives

  *

    Digital archives

  *

    Oppression in DIY cultural archives (e.g. whiteness of zine
    collections, homophobia in radical archives or similar)

  *

    Information architecture and data protection in DIY projects and
    activist campaigns

  *

    Do-it-together Information sharing how-to’s, ‘Book your own fucking
    life’, ‘Stolen Sharpie Revolution’ etc

  *

    Processes in archive/library/information work including cataloguing,
    classification, description, digitisation

  *

    Experiences of working in/with DIY cultural archives, libraries or
    history projects

  *

    Wikis

  *

    Bridging the gap between theory and practice

You can submit info for us to consider via this form: https://forms.gle/vJrd9ypM1xuzV54cA(deadline: 15th March 2020).

You can apply for a bursary to attend the event here: https://forms.gle/J2kUavTNZrCSVBCSA. There will be a minimum of £1,000 available for travel/accommodation/childcare bursaries for people attending, and a further £1,500 available to support people facilitating stuff on the day!

Register for a ticket for the event here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/recording-it-ourselves-diy-cultures-archives-information-and-heritage-tickets-94184379013

Tickets are available on a sliding scale (£0-15 - the upper cost is for people who can fund attendance through work or study).

There will be (vegan/gluten free) food and drink provided on the day. Information about DIY Space for London’s accessibility can be found here: https://diyspaceforlondon.org/access/.

More information is available at recordingitourselves.wordpress.com.

This event is funded by the Centre for Critical Heritage Studies at UCL and the London Arts and Humanities Partnership.