Archive for February 2020

[Commlist] Four new posts in Centre for Postdigital Cultures at Coventry University

Fri Feb 07 16:21:36 GMT 2020

I wanted to let you know that we are currently seeking to recruit four new colleagues for our Centre for Postdigital Cultures at Coventry University:

Professor of Immersive Media:
https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BYB771/professor-of-immersive-media
Deadline: 16 Feb. 2020

Assistant Professor of Immersive Media: https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BYH196/assistant-professor-of-immersive-media
Deadline: 25 Feb. 2020

Assistant Professor of Creative Coding: https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BYG868/assistant-professor-of-creative-coding
Deadline: 25 Feb. 2020

Assistant Professor of Digital Media:
https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BYG859/assistant-professor-of-digital-media
Deadline: 25 Feb. 2020

The Centre for Postdigital Cultures (CPC) brings together media theorists, practitioners, activists and artists to explore how developments in postdigital cultures can enable 21st century society respond to the challenges it faces in relation to the digital at a global, national and local level.

The CPC is diverse, with its members hailing from more than 14 different countries, and takes an innovative stance in exploring (post)digital phenomena. It is our position that the “digital” can no longer be understood as a separate domain of culture. If we actually examine the digital - rather than taking it for granted we already know what it means - we see that today digital information processing is present in every aspect of our lives. This includes our global communication, entertainment, education, energy, banking, health, transport, manufacturing, food, and water-supply systems. Attention therefore needs to turn from “the digital”, to the various overlapping processes and infrastructures that shape and organise the digital, and that the digital helps to shape and organise in turn. The CPC investigates such enmeshed digital models of culture and society for the 21st century “postdigital” world. (Put another way, what we are interested in is how we are born out of our relation to media, rather than seeing the media simply as an external instrument or tool, the latter being the classical Aristotelian view that has dominated our understanding of media technologies to date. )

Developing our research is a strategic priority for our centre; significant investment has been made into facilities, research staff and research support services. To support planned future growth the university is expanding its portfolio of research and our centre has the above posts; select the relevant link to find out more and apply.