Archive for February 2020

[Commlist] call for chapters - American Horror Story – Edited Collection

Mon Feb 03 10:46:06 GMT 2020

*American Horror Story – Edited Collection*

Edited by Professor Richard J. Hand (University of East Anglia) & Professor Mark O’Thomas (University ofGreenwich)

We are seeking chapters that engage with the television series/American Horror Story/created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. Over eight seasons since 2011,/American Horror Story//(AHS)/has continued to push the boundaries of the televisual form in new and exciting ways. Emerging in a context which has seen a boom in popularity for horror series on television,/AHS/has distinguished itself from its ‘rivals’ such as/The Walking Dead/,/Bates Motel/or/Penny Dreadful/through its diverse strategies and storylines which have seen it explore archetypal narratives of horror culture as well as engaging with genuine history. Utilising a repertory company model for its casting, the show has challenged issues around contemporary politics, heteronormativity, violence on the screen, and disability to name but a few.

We invite potential contributors to send us an abstract of 300 words for a book chapter of approximately 5000 words.Although we welcome any relevant topic and critical approach to/AHS/, includingaspects ofcross-disciplinarity, all chapters areexpected to engage with the academic discipline of Television Studies.

Please email abstracts of 300 words and a short biographical note to (r.hand /at/ uea.ac.uk) (andmark.othomas /at/ greenwich.ac.ukby) 28 February 2020