[Commlist] Issue, 8.2, “The Labour of Media (Studies): Activism, Education, and Industry” - Synoptique: An Online Journal of Film and Moving Image Studies, published

Thu Dec 05 09:14:04 GMT 2019

We are excited to announce that Synoptique: An Online Journal of Film and Moving Image Studies has just released its new issue, 8.2, “The Labour of Media (Studies): Activism, Education, and Industry,” guest edited by the medialabour collective.

This special issue discusses the intersection of academic labour with the precarity faced in media industries, through different formats and a rich book review section.

Please take a look at the table of contents below and review the selection of articles on our site: <http://www.synoptique.ca> . We invite you to share any pieces that strikes your interest with your peers.

+++

SYNOPTIQUE Vol. 8, No. 2. The Labour of Media (Studies): Activism, Education, and Industry

Introduction

The medialabour collective

Thought Pieces

Vicki Mayer - Pedagogies of Paradox in Media Studies and Media Labour

Rebecca Holt - “If I Was Moved...”: Doing Digital Ethnography in the Fields of Pornhub

Patrick Vonderau - Expert or Idiot? On False Dilemmas in Digital Media Research

Errol Salamon - Learning to Diversify the Media Labor Force

Jacqueline Ristola - Fight to Win: The Political Contours of Graduate Student Organizing

Brett Neilson and Ned Rossiter - Extracting Concepts

Interviews

A Conversation on Reproductive Work and the University with Silvia Federici - Interviewed by Ylenia Olibet and Kerry McElroy

Parsing Out Intersections Between Activism and Academia with Alessandra Renzi - Interviewed by Sima Kokotović

Fieldnotes

Mariz Kelada - Letting Fieldwork Speak Back

Gino Canella - Filmmaking as Militant Co-Research

Iphigénie Marcoux-Fortier - HOMING — The Homes of the Women of Our Rural Home: Documentary Co-creation As a Practice of Unforgetting

Kerry Guinan - Between Practice and Praxis: Why I Am Not an Artivist

Book Reviews

Ishita Tiwary - Michael Curtin and Kevin Sanson, Voices of Labor. Creativity, Craft, and Conflict in Global Hollywood

Meredith Slifkin - Jane Gaines,Pink Slipped: What Happened to Women in the Silent Film Industries?

Mark Barber - Vicki Mayer, Almost Hollywood, Nearly New Orleans: The Lure of the Local Film Economy

Sarika Joglekar - Jean Chung Hye, Media Heterotopias: Digital Effects and Material Labor in Global Film Production

Claudia Sicondolfo - Brooke Erin Duffy, (Not) Getting Paid to Do What You Love: Gender, Social Media, and Aspirational Work

Kristen Cochrane - Greg Goldberg, Antisocial Media: Anxious Labor in the Digital Economy

Anne-Marie Trépanier - Julie A. Wilson and Emily Chivers Yochim, Mothering Through Precarity: Women’s Work and Digital Media

Events Reviews

Joaquín Serpe - Front Row Seat at the “Debate of the Century”: Slavoj Zizek vs. Jordan Peterson, April 19, 2019

Sadie Gilker - A Reflection on Precarity: The Institute for Urban Futures and Le Banquet des Précariats