[Commlist] Vacancy: Assistant Professor in Journalism Studies @University of Groningen

Mon Nov 11 15:40:33 GMT 2019

We have a vacancy for an assistant professor in Journalism Studies (1 fte; initial contract for 4 years) at the University of Groningen. The deadline for application is Nov. 19. For those interested, you can find more information about the post below or here: https://bit.ly/2qDH5Ci

best regards, Marcel Broersma

  Assistant Professor in Journalism Studies (1.0 FTE)

Excellent research assessments and growing student numbers enable the Department of Media Studies and Journalism of the University of Groningen to hire an assistant professor in Journalism Studies.

Candidates should be able to teach courses in our Dutch and international MA programmes in Journalism, our minor programmes in Journalism, and our international BA and MA programmes in Media Studies. Moreover, we expect the successful candidate to contribute actively to our research agenda which we are conducting in the Centre for Media and Journalism Studies. The position combines teaching (60%) and research (40%).

Our BA and MA programmes rank first among all Media Studies programmes in the Netherlands in the national student survey. The MA programmes in Journalism focus on high quality reporting in a cross-media setting with a strong focus on digital skills and innovation, and combine academic reflection with academic skills. The department admits 30 Dutch and 30 international MA students on a yearly basis after a rigorous selection procedure. The minor programme in Journalism addresses a range of developments in the field of journalism studies, providing courses to students from a range of disciplines within the university.

Our international, English-taught BA programme in Media Studies focuses on the social and informative functions of media. It provides students with a thorough understanding of the affordances of different platforms and the interplay between them; the political and economic underpinnings of media systems; patterns of use, production and content; and the functions and impact of media in culture and society. The MA programmes Datafication and Digital Literacy, Social Media and Society, and Media Creation and Innovation provide students with cutting-edge knowledge of the digital transformations that profoundly change society.

Research is conducted within the interdisciplinary Centre for Media and Journalism Studies, which has been rated as “excellent/world-leading” in the 2016 Research Assessment. If appointed, the candidate is expected to actively contribute to a vibrant research environment. Ample support will be provided in applying for bids with national and international funding agencies.

The successful applicant is expected to:

- teach and supervise students in the department’s undergraduate and graduate programmes; international candidates will teach solely in English, they are offered the chance to follow a Dutch language course - participate actively in curriculum development, design and administration of course modules - conduct and generate top research in media studies or communication studies
- pursue research grants and other forms of external funding
- participate actively in international research networks and build international collaborations - participate actively in the activities of the interdisciplinary research Centre for Media and Journalism Studies.

    Requirements

In addition to a number of basic requirements set by the University of Groningen, such as excellent social and communication skills, presentation skills, coaching skills and a results-oriented attitude, we are looking for candidates who have:

• a PhD in Journalism-, Media-, or Communication Studies, or related fields
• wide-ranging knowledge in Journalism Studies, preferably with a focus on the digital transformation of journalism
• teaching experience at university level and proven didactic abilities
• gained their University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or are prepared to do so within a year
• an excellent research track record, including relevant publications
• an outstanding national and international academic network as well as strong contacts with professionals in the field • willingness to make substantial contributions to the development of the Department’s research and educational programmes
• organisational experience and skills
• excellent command of English (at least CEFR B2/C1 level for reading, listening, writing and speaking) • expected to have or gain understanding of the Dutch language (CEFR B2 for reading and listening, and CEFR B1 for writing and speaking) within two years.

    Conditions of employment

*Fixed-term* contract: 48 months.

We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:

• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from € 3,637 (scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,656 (scale 12) gross salary per month for a full-time position • an 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees
• favourable tax treatment may apply to Non-Dutch applicants.

The appointment will initially be on a temporary basis for 4 years with the possibility of becoming a permanent position following a positive ‘Results and Development’ assessment. The assessment for a permanent position is possible from the third year onwards.

Preferred date of entry into employment is 1 February 2020.