[Commlist] 2020 Zizek Studies Conference - Call for Proposals and Presentations

Wed Oct 09 21:04:52 GMT 2019

2020 Zizek Studies Conference - Call for Proposals and Presentations

5th Biennial International Zizek Studies Conference
Sponsored by the Zizekian Institute for Research, Inquiry, and
Pedagogy: www.zizekianinstitute.org

Conference Date: May 15-17, 2020
Location: Nuci’s Space in Athens, GA (USA)
Venue info: https://www.nuci.org
Keynotes: TBD

DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS: November 3, 2019
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE: December 1, 2019 (or earlier)
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION OPENS: February 1, 2020

The Post-Apocalyptic Ideological Wasteland: What is Zizekian after Zizek?

As the world fell each of us, in our own way, was broken. It was hard
to know who was more crazy: me or everyone else? . . . Here they come
again. . . worming their way into the black matter of my brain. I tell
myself. . . they cannot touch me. They are long dead.
—Max Rockatanksy, Mad Max: Fury Road

Ideology is not a dreamlike illusion that we build to escape
insupportable reality; in its basic dimension it is a
fantasy-construction which serves as a support for our ‘reality’
itself: an ‘illusion’ which structures our effective, real social
relations and thereby masks some insupportable, real, impossible
kernel.
—Slavoj Zizek, The Sublime Object of Ideology

The Zizekian Institute for Research, Inquiry, and Pedagogy is pleased
to invite submissions and participation for the 5th biennial Zizek
Studies Conference on "The Post-Apocalyptic Ideological Wasteland.” It
has been said that it is easier to imagine the end of the world than
it is to imagine the end of capitalism. Undoubtedly, Zizek’s
quintessential book The Sublime Object of Ideology had a tremendous
influence on the landscape of many disciplines. Since its publication,
Zizek has published prolifically, appeared on numerous YouTube videos,
engaged in high profile debates, elucidated his ideas through film
with The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema and the follow-up The Pervert’s
Guide to Ideology, and was the central focus of Astra Taylor’s Zizek!.
Although the term “Zizekian” has been used by many, it has not been
given the attention to define it, for better or worse, as a matter of
philosophical inquiry, epistemology, or even beyond the academic
constraints to the consideration of the ontological embodiment (i.e.,
to live in a Zizekian manner). When we add “-ian” to a person’s name,
then we take on the accountability of how such addendum becomes the
interpretive ideology, especially posthumously. The 2020 them was
inspired by the question of what will we do when Zizek is no longer
alive to respond to criticisms and questions? What would we do if the
university was no longer in existence in an apocalyptic setting? Would
we still think and engage the world under the idea of being Zizekian?
And, if so, what would this mean as an ideology among a new wasteland
of ideologies all vying for relevance, survival, and, of course,
dominance?

We encourage submissions for papers, panels, book talks, and artistic
exhibits/presentations that are inspired by this year’s theme. In
general, here are some questions, though not confined to these alone,
that we hope will be taken up at this year’s conference:

 *Why Zizek? Amongst all the philosophers, why does Zizek impact your
work/life, and how did you even arrive at finding Zizek’s work?
*What is Zizekian, if this is even legitimate to invoke? (especially
as used in your respective discipline/field/life)
*How does the reading of Zizek in books versus, for example, the
YouTube Zizek provide a broadening or narrowing/shallowing of his
influence?
*Is there a standard or orthodoxy amongst those using Zizek to
proclaim a particular trajectory of correct interpretations versus
incorrect or misinterpretations? Why would these be important points
to address with future scholars?
*In what areas has Zizek’s work been least utilized or neglected for
the most part? Is this an important endeavor for Zizek studies moving
forward?
“General themes” may also focus on psychoanalysis, cultural studies,
media and film studies, literary theory, philosophy, and a range of
other intersecting fields.

The conference has evolved beyond a rigid call for proposals in place
of an embodying Zizekian motif. That is, we invite a broad range of
scholars, individuals, artists, and more to interpret the theme in a
way that is connected and applicable to their academic and/or personal
intellectual/political lives. As each interprets the theme, each
person is given the freedom and opportunity to be a part of the
conference, which enlivens a rich texture of various
motifs—intellectual or application/practice—that continues the
integrity and spirit of the conference.

Send 500 word  abstracts of proposed papers/presentations to
(Zizekian2020 /at/ gmail.com).

*All accepted proposals must register in order to appear on the
program. Presenters will have a special rate.

If there are any questions about whether a proposal fits or is
workable, please email Antonio Garcia at (Antonio /at/ zizekianinstitute.org)
and he will assist and support you through the process of ideas and
submission.