[Commlist] CFP: Visualising Uneven Distributions of Power

Sun Sep 29 13:26:13 GMT 2019

This is the last call for papers for the following session next year at the ISA Forum in Porto Alegre, Brazil (2020)

RC57 Visual Sociology (host committee) Language: Spanish and English
Session Type: Oral

Session link: https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/forum2020/webprogrampreliminary/Session13631.html
Conference page: https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/forum2020/cfp.cgi

Overview:
In a world dominated by visual images the photograph has become almost invisible (Clarke, 1997: 11). In the two decades since this statement the proliferation of visual imagery [still or moving] has arguably reinforced this sentiment. This session seeks to unpack this observation, by asking, how have artists used lens-based practice to push back against this threat of invisibility, mass saturation, compassion fatigue (Moeller 1999) or ‘un-greivability’ (Butler 2009) in times of global crisis or threats to democracy. Specifically, this session seeks papers that pay particular attention to the strategic deployment of lens-based practices by artists who reframe both emerging or existing crisis in new and engaging ways and equally, how can these approaches be problematised or critiqued.

Asking how we can sociologically analyse visual approaches to crisis, we welcome papers that consider a range of geographies and political contexts. Papers can address issues of representation (Tagg 1988), ethics and 'audiencing' (Fiske 1994), (co)-authorship, dissemination and mediation as well as how can we look, sociologically at crisis through the prism of contemporary artists for pedagogical and political gains.

Session Organizers:
Gary BRATCHFORD, The University of Central Lancashire, United Kingdom
Ruthie GINSBURG, Beit Berl College, Israel

From Dr. Gary Bratchford <(gbratchford /at/ UCLAN.AC.UK)>