[Commlist] Invitation for Articles on “Anomaly”– forthcoming special issue in M/C Journal A Journal of Media and Culture

Sun Sep 08 09:15:49 GMT 2019

Invitation for Articles on “Anomaly” – forthcoming special issue in M/C Journal

A Journal of Media and Culture

Anomaly: something different, abnormal, peculiar, not easily classified or classifiable; a deviation; a detour. Something /out of time/ and /out of place/.

Cultural commodification has resulted in the convergence and displacement of traditional boundaries, genres, and media, altering the expectations of users and producers, changing the very fabric of textuality itself. Enter the outsider of the hybrid, interactive, interstitial; forms and platforms that trouble not only traditional boundaries but traditional modes and concepts of authorship. Within an expanding economy of media, we are prompted also to return to earlier genres in order to better annotate their metamorphoses. Taking Roberto Schwarz’s (1977) contention that “forms are the abstract of specific social relationships” as a possible point of enquiry, we would like to engage in a critical investigation on the politics of form and the form of politically-valent works. We invite contributions that engage with a wide spectrum of cultural productions through areas of investigation that might include:

  * hybrid forms engaging across media
  * glocal and transnational creative industries (production,
    distribution, reception)
  * (mis)understanding(s) in/of transnational media
  * inter/nationalism of popular culture
  * productive instabilities: noise, interferences, and interruptions
  * glitch art
  * the presentation/performance of disappearance
  * dislocation as dissemination
  * alternative sub-cultures
  * interactive and collaborative authorship
  * (dis)possessions of AI
  * mediatic /hapax/
  * distortion and/as subversion
  * hyperlinked narratives (gone astray)

Prospective contributors should email an abstract of 100-250 words and a brief biography to the issue editors. Abstracts should include the article title and should describe your research question, approach, and argument. Biographies should be about three sentences (maximum 75 words) and should include your institutional affiliation and research interests. Articles should be 3000 words (plus bibliography). All articles will be double-blind refereed and must adhere to MLA style (6th edition).

*Details*

  * Article deadline: 7 Aug. 2020
  * Release date: 7 Oct. 2020
  * Editors: Chris Campanioni and Giancarlo Lombardi

Send any enquiries to (anomaly /at/ journal.media-culture.org.au) <mailto:(anomaly /at/ journal.media-culture.org.au)>

//

/M/C Journal/was founded (as "M/C - A Journal of Media and Culture") in 1998 as a place of public intellectualism analysing and critiquing the meeting of media and culture. /M/C Journal/ is a fully blind, peer-reviewed academic journal, but is also open to submissions and responses from anyone on the Internet. We take seriously the need to move ideas outward, so that our cultural debates may have some resonance with wider political and cultural interests. Each issue is organised around a one word theme (see our past issues), and is edited by one or two guest editors with a particular interest in that theme. Each issue has a feature article which engages with the theme in some detail, followed by several shorter articles.