[Commlist] MeCCSA 2020 Call for papers – Practice based research

Thu Aug 15 08:16:29 GMT 2019

*MeCCSA 2020, University of Brighton, UK, **8-10 January 2020*

*Supplemental Call For Papers - Practice Based Research*

The Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association are pleased to invite the submission of practice-based contributions for the MeCCSA 2020 Conference, to be held from 8-10 January 2020 at the University of Brighton. The theme of the conference is* Media Interactions and Environments.* We actively support the presentation of practice-as-research and have a flexible approach to practice papers, presentations and the exhibition of work.

To complement the MeCCSA presentations, panels, roundtables and screenings, a dedicated exhibition space has been set up in the School of Media’s foyer gallery, to exhibit film and video, photography, sound and other media-based work. This is a light space with ample daylight, which has flexible walls for hanging of works, which can also accommodate moving image work. We also have a cinema-style screening room which can be used for short films, videos and digital work. Contributors are invited to submit work for the gallery as part of their presentation. This may be still or moving image, projected or monitor-based work, which creatively addresses the theme of *Media Interactions and Environments*. This exhibition will seek to explore how mediation, screen performance, sound and photography contribute to a reconfiguration of contemporary relations and environments. All set-ups need to be simple and adaptable to existing facilities, and all delivery/transportation of work is at the cost and risk of the exhibitor.

Practice-based research proposals may take many forms. Contributors may present papers and screenings in the same sessions or as part of a separate screening strand. We also welcome shorter papers in association with short screenings.  For displaying practice work, please include specific technical data (e.g. duration, format) and a URL pointing to any support material when submitting your abstract. We expect delegates who are showing work to be present at the conference.

*Timeline of submissions and reviews*

**

*Submission deadline:* 31 August 2019

**