[Commlist] PhD in Information and Media - Michigan State University

Thu Aug 01 14:13:19 GMT 2019

PhD in Information and Media
Michigan State University

The world-renowned Michigan State University College of Communication Arts and Sciences invites applications to its top-rated Information and Media (I&M) doctoral program. We anticipate 12 student positions for the 2020-2021 student cohort, with a stipend of $18,500 per academic year, an 18-credit tuition waiver (worth $27,292), student health insurance and $1000 travel support to conferences. Students accepted into the I&M program are guaranteed 3 years of funding. For information about how to apply see https://comartsci.msu.edu/information-media-phd or contact Dr. Patricia Huddleston at (huddles2 /at/ msu.edu).

Three highly ranked academic units of MSU College of Communication Arts and Sciences participate: the Department of Advertising + Public Relations, the School of Journalism and the Department of Media and Information. This interdisciplinary program integrates the social sciences, media and socio-technical systems. The faculty represent specializations in communication, advertising, public relations, journalism, economics, information studies, sociology, law, marketing and computer science. The faculty and alumni of the College include more Fellows in the International Communication Association than any other program.

Students learn how to generate independent hypotheses and research designs, the critical importance of real-world relevancy in framing esearch studies and the art of working with multidisciplinary research teams. The I&M Ph.D. prepares students to become scholars, teachers and leaders. Graduates of the I&M PhD become leaders in academia, government, and industry.
Examples of the three doctoral research foci include:

Advertising + Public Relations
•	Media psychology and persuasion
•	Neuroscience and social influence
•	International advertising and public relations
•	Effects of media on child and family development
Journalism
•	Journalism Studies
•	News processing and effects
•	Freedom of speech and press
Media and Information
•	Social media and social computing
•	Human-computer interaction, games and meaningful play
•	Management information systems (policy and economics)
•	Health (media, interactive computer technology, and development