[Commlist] CFP Imagined Pasts: Colonialism, Photography, and Archives

Mon Jul 15 15:48:23 GMT 2019

*Imagined Pasts: Colonialism, Photography, and Archives*

Workshop

4-5 November 2019

Instituto de Ciências Sociais, Universidade de Lisboa

The workshop aims to foster a space for debating photographic collections
from the colonial period, as active agents in the visual construction of
the past. We invite presentations that address the production of images in
the former colonial territories both in institutional contexts (civil or
military authorities, public or private organizations) and in personal
circles (vernacular or professional photographers’ collections). Decades
after the fall of the European empires, we also welcome discussions on the
movements of images over time and through space: the trajectories of
collections between formal and informal archival contexts, the blurring of
boundaries between private and public, the reconfiguration of the meanings
and uses of photography from a historical period under intense scrutiny.

We invite proposals that explore the production and transits, the
(memorialistic, museal, scientific, political) uses and spaces in which the
contemporary revisiting of photographic images is taking place, along with
its multiple connections with intimate, historical and political
representations of the colonial past.

Proposals should be submitted to (imaginedpasts /at/ ics.ulisboa.pt) by 10
September 2019, including abstracts (max. 150 words), a short biographical
note, and contact and affiliation details.

Decisions on acceptance of proposals will be communicated by 20 September
2019.

Organizers: Maria José Lobo Antunes, Inês Ponte and Filipa Lowndes Vicente

http://gi-imperios.org/blog/cfp-imagined-pasts-colonialism-photography-and-archives/